cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a second router in your house--is it possible?

JohnD
Neighbour

Hello everyone,

Firstly, I'm incredibly sorry if this question is one which has been asked before. I tried doing a quick google search about this but some of the similar questions had different components that didn't relate to my situation. Nevertheless, my apologies.

I'm not tech savy but I would like to add another second router in my gaming room. I'm hoping to connect a lan adapter/ethernet cable into a this new router to play online video games. i have optic internet but my this particular console doesnt have strong wifi capabilities (my ps4 pro works amazingly). 

Is this something that telus does? Can I simply call and add another router to my gaming room? Or are there feasible alternatives for someone who literally knows nothing about internet/wires/cables etc. 

Thank you very much for your time. Once more, I am truly sorry for the bother. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Options I suggest:

• Simply run an Ethernet cable from your T3200M to the Game Console
  • Get the Boost Wi-Fi device to extend your Wi-Fi signal or use them to create a wireless bridge to your Game Console.
  • Get a router designed to be an Access point. See this blog post for some ideas.
  • Last option would be to get another router, as there are more steps to setting it up.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Options I suggest:

• Simply run an Ethernet cable from your T3200M to the Game Console
  • Get the Boost Wi-Fi device to extend your Wi-Fi signal or use them to create a wireless bridge to your Game Console.
  • Get a router designed to be an Access point. See this blog post for some ideas.
  • Last option would be to get another router, as there are more steps to setting it up.

NFtoBC

Thank you very much for your response.

What in your opinion is the best option? Once more, I would like to use a lan adaptber/ethernet cable from my console to something incredibly reliable. Are routers generally expensive to add? 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I ranked them in order of my preference. A router will be on the order of  $60-$100 depending on the capability of the device.

NFtoBC

Syaoran
Rockstar

If you need to, it is easy enough.  Most would rather use WiFi extenders and such but I have two routers in my apartment, one on one side and the other on the other side with the modem in the middle of my apartment.  You could also chain one router off of the other.  The variables though in how you do it is basically dependent on what handles your DHCP.  If the modem does it, then the routers work best in Access Point mode with most of the routing functions disabled.  If the router does it, then the modem needs to be in bridge mode and the other router needs to be in AP mode, if connected to the other router directly.  

Hi, thank you so much for your response. I really do appreciate it. 

I apologize for the bother but may I inquire as to how you are finding the wifi extender--assuming you are using one. (I know you mentioned already having a second router). 

Routers with Mesh make easy extenders.  Routers without Mesh take wired and put that over wireless unless they have repeater modes, like my Asus routers do.  The easiest way though, is to just set the modem up normally, put both routers in AP mode or manually disable the DHCP, QoS, and the a handful of other settings, and use a wire to connect each to the modem and also broadcast WiFi.  If going wired in two separate directions, you want to make sure each routers WiFi channels are not overlapping with the other routers.