cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection to moden

BobVS
Just Moved In

I'm looking into changing from Shaw to Telus but have some connection questions:

1) Does the installation person run a wire from an existing phone outlet to the modem OR is it a new line from the "outside connection box" to the modem

2) We will shortly have fibre to the house.  When that occurs will  a new fibre connection also be made from the "outside connection box" to the modem

3) in preparation for the installation I have run a 45' Ethernet cable from the location of the modem to  my television - is there any restriction on the distance from modem to TV?

Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Exhile
Ambassador

@BobVS wrote:

I'm looking into changing from Shaw to Telus but have some connection questions:

1) Does the installation person run a wire from an existing phone outlet to the modem OR is it a new line from the "outside connection box" to the modem

2) We will shortly have fibre to the house.  When that occurs will  a new fibre connection also be made from the "outside connection box" to the modem

3) in preparation for the installation I have run a 45' Ethernet cable from the location of the modem to  my television - is there any restriction on the distance from modem to TV?

Bob

1) A new fibre optic cable is wired from a pole to the home. There will be some drilling of a hole to get the fibre optic cable into the home and terminate into Optical Network Terminal which must be powered by an AC plug inside your home.

2) The "outside connection box" you are referring to is actually an "inside connection box" or ONT that must be powered by an AC plug.

3) The router sends a 5GHz wireless signal to a wireless TV box which then connects to the TV. I'm not sure what the wireless range is sut since the TV will be 45 feet away, perhaps @Nighthawk or @NFtoBC have a better solution.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Exhile
Ambassador

@BobVS wrote:

Bob

1) A new fibre optic cable is wired from a pole to the home. There will be some drilling of a hole to get the fibre optic cable into the home and terminate into Optical Network Terminal which must be powered by an AC plug inside your home.

2) The "outside connection box" you are referring to is actually an "inside connection box" or ONT that must be powered by an AC plug.

3) The router sends a 5GHz wireless signal to a wireless TV box which then connects to the TV. I'm not sure what the wireless range is sut since the TV will be 45 feet away, perhaps @Nighthawk or @NFtoBC have a better solution.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
1) Until you get Fibre, Telus will use existing phone wiring in your house.
2) The Fibre will be run to a location of your choice in your house. As stated by @Exhile, there needs to be a plug nearby.
3) If I recall, Ethernet runs are limited to 100 m, so your 45’ run is no problem.

You may wish to run more Ethernet to other locations in your house.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"