cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which wireless printers work with t3200 router

Sehansen
Organizer
Just switched to Optic tv and internet 75 but wireless printer won’t connect. Have read several posts on similar issues but before I consider settling up a separate router does anyone know a wireless printer that actually works with the TELUS router out of the box?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Sehansenwrote:

The booster the technician installed is an Actiontex Web6000Q.  It is connected to the t3500 via Ethernet cable. It is on the same ssid as the t3500;but shows up as two separate ssids with the same name as the main one but with 2.4 and 5g extensions. The main router has smartsteering turned on, which is supposed to facilitate seamless handoff between the main ssid and the booster when you move into the booster zone. I have found though the the two signals don’t decrease sufficiently to actually trigger the handoff, so I end up with half signal unless I manually switch ssids. 

Smart Steering only works on the T3200M, so far as it works at all. So what you are seeing is what I would expect.

I wonder if the mesh system is significantly different/better in this regard and would solve the printer issue.  If it can actually be set up as a separate ssid then I could use it for my home network (basically like having another router) and only use the t3500 for the optic tv.  Thoughts?

That is what I have set up. Works fine, in fact better than the T3200M.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Even ethernet attached network printers often do not work with the T3200M and Wi-Fi devices. Rather than purchasing an independent router, I suggest purchasing the Boost Wi-Fi Mesh from Telus for about the same price. In addition to addressing the T3200M Wi-Fi impasse, it gives you a mesh network for little more than the cost of a router. It addressed ALL my Wi-Fi interconnectivity issues.

NFtoBC

Would that be different from the Wi-Fi booster/extender Telus also installed in a separate area of my home? It is paired with the router but shows up with different extensions to the main ssid (2.4 g and 5g). Does the mesh system work independent of the main router?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm not sure which device Telus currently uses in the instance you describe.  The Boost Wi-Fi device has a Model Number of "DWS" under the rear cover plate.

The Boost Wi-Fi device is usually set up on a different SSID than the T3200M, so it does not confuse withe any Wireless TV connections. It is not independent of the T3200M. The primary access point is connected to the T3200M by Ethernet.

NFtoBC

The booster the technician installed is an Actiontex Web6000Q.  It is connected to the t3500 via Ethernet cable. It is on the same ssid as the t3500;but shows up as two separate ssids with the same name as the main one but with 2.4 and 5g extensions. The main router has smartsteering turned on, which is supposed to facilitate seamless handoff between the main ssid and the booster when you move into the booster zone. I have found though the the two signals don’t decrease sufficiently to actually trigger the handoff, so I end up with half signal unless I manually switch ssids. I wonder if the mesh system is significantly different/better in this regard and would solve the printer issue.  If it can actually be set up as a separate ssid then I could use it for my home network (basically like having another router) and only use the t3500 for the optic tv.  Thoughts?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Sehansenwrote:

The booster the technician installed is an Actiontex Web6000Q.  It is connected to the t3500 via Ethernet cable. It is on the same ssid as the t3500;but shows up as two separate ssids with the same name as the main one but with 2.4 and 5g extensions. The main router has smartsteering turned on, which is supposed to facilitate seamless handoff between the main ssid and the booster when you move into the booster zone. I have found though the the two signals don’t decrease sufficiently to actually trigger the handoff, so I end up with half signal unless I manually switch ssids. 

Smart Steering only works on the T3200M, so far as it works at all. So what you are seeing is what I would expect.

I wonder if the mesh system is significantly different/better in this regard and would solve the printer issue.  If it can actually be set up as a separate ssid then I could use it for my home network (basically like having another router) and only use the t3500 for the optic tv.  Thoughts?

That is what I have set up. Works fine, in fact better than the T3200M.

NFtoBC

Thanks. Think I will give that a try. I see they can be bought from Telus online and shipped free but I will check to see if they are also available from the Telus stores. Set up looks pretty straightforward using the app according to the website. I’ll let you know if that solves my issue.

Not solved. I bought and installed the Telus boost Wi-Fi (easy installation). Everything works EXCEPT the printer still.  I have tried everything Inhave found online to no avail. I’m thinking the next step is a new printer since my HP D110 is a few years old and there doesn’t seem to be any firmware or driver updates that need to installed. Some users have resolved printer issues by changing the printer IP address but mine doesn’t allow this - so Inguess it’s off to BestBuy.  BUT - I haven’t been able to find anything online or this forum on which wireless printers actually work with the Telus router out of the box. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Have you tried a complete reset of the printer?  I’ve known lots of folks with wi-fi printing issues; not all easily solved.

NFtoBC

Yup - did a factory reset on the printer, checked for driver and firmware updates etc. Rebooted router. Turned smart steering on and off. Static IP for the printer, etc etc. Might have to bite the bullet and get a newer printer, which hopefully will be compatible. At the moment I have devised a work around by using a third party application that sends print jobs to a lap top that is connected to the printer by USB. Works but laptop has to be on and awake. At least the Telus boost Wi-Fi mesh system is working well.  

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

From another post:

Sehansen
Sehansen
Friendly Neighbour

On an earlier post I was seeking help on trying to get my HP wireless printer to work with the T3200m router. I tried doing a factory reset on the printer, static IPs, and even setting up a separate ridges router - all to no avail. The I found a setting on the printer set up screen that allowed me to delete the old wireless settings. Once I did that everything worked! I don’t know why the old wireless settings wouldn’t have been flushed during the factory reset but they weren’t. So, if you are one of the people struwith getting your printer connected to the Telus router try looking for a delete wireless settings option on the printer set up menu (or a factory reset)

NFtoBC

Tried to connect the wireless printer to the extender but still won’t work. The printer establishes a connection with the extender but doesn’t show up as an available printer. When it is connected wirelessly to the main router it also establishes a connection and does appear as being an available printer if Intry to print something from my iPad or desktop but won’t actually print - says it is offline. I wonder if the Telus mesh extender system is different/better. Anybody using it?

I know now there have been lots of posts on issues with the Telus routers and wireless printers but can’t tell if it is just certain printers. Has anyone been able to connect their wireless printer easily to the t3500?