What compensation for email outage will keep you as a Telus customer?

Highlighted
SunDog
Connector

Having an email outage of more than a few hours is simply inexcusable in this day and age. While I appear to be getting new emails, I know for a fact that there are emails from at least August 16th and 17th that have not arrived. And the biggest problem with not getting emails is that you don't know you didn't get them unless the sender tells you (which they can't do via email!) or they eventually show up.

I have internet, Optik tv, home phone, and three mobility accounts with Telus. I will be moving in the next couple of months or I would do it today but Telus will be losing out on close to $500 per month of revenue from just me. How many others will there be? Don't forget, this exact thing happened back in May and they appear to have done nothing to address the root of the problem.

So here is my honest answer to my question: I would only be satisfied with a minimum of 2 months credit for my internet service which is $85 x 2 = $170.

What about you?

khollett
Resident

I have not been able to send or receive emails since August 9 - 10 days!  I agree this is inexcusable.  I highly doubt that there is anything that Telus could offer that could keep me as a customer.

vishwa
Ambassador

I may be in the minority here but over the last several years all of Telus services were rock solid.  This was one time something went wrong and I personally will be OK if they didn't offer any compensation.  Things do happen.  Data breach is a much more serious thing than this outage.

xray
All-Star

@khollett wrote:

I have not been able to send or receive emails since August 9 - 10 days!  I agree this is inexcusable.  I highly doubt that there is anything that Telus could offer that could keep me as a customer.

The outage started on August 15. If your email wasn't working since August 9 then the issue is not related to the outage.

TELUSanother
Resident

As of today (August 16), TELUS is offering $20 rebate on next bill (volunteered, not asked for). That's $4 a day (and decreasing every 24 hours that this problem exists). I turned down the offer and said I didn't want to see it on my bill. It's an insult. A 3 month rebate on full monthly Internet charge would be appropriate considering the length of this outage (which is not the first).

polecat
Ambassador

All providers have problems of some sort at times . The  $ to change providers brings up the question. THE DEVIL YOU GOT OR THE DEVIL YOU GET ? It never ends.

SunDog
Connector

I use aliases from my own domain to my Telus email accounts so switching providers is dead simple for me. I can always come back in two years and get a free tv. Or they can give me a credit more significant than $20 for two lengthy email outages (May and August).

Chicnstu
Ambassador

I would love to find out how many customers demanding compensation for their email disruption actually pay for the email as a standalone service and don't just receive it as the complimentary feature/addon that it is. The vocal majority of people who are demanding compensation seem to be those who run a business from home but do not pay for business products and the guarantees for service restoral and lost revenue those provide. Telus webmail is a free addon of residential internet. There was no loss in internet service.

I feel for the people who have been impacted by this outage and yes, the response and fix from Telus was sub-par for sure. That being said, demanding compensations with threats to cancel all services is definitely overreacting in my book.

SunDog
Connector

I left Shaw about 8 years ago because their PVR offering had what some called "minor" bugs and got a free TV for my "trouble". Was I only supposed to switch TV providers?

By the way, how does one get the title "Ambassador" anyway? Because my impression is that those with that title sound more like PR employees than customers.

Timmah1
Neighbour

@Chicnstu wrote:

I would love to find out how many customers demanding compensation for their email disruption actually pay for the email as a standalone service and don't just receive it as the complimentary feature/addon that it is. The vocal majority of people who are demanding compensation seem to be those who run a business from home but do not pay for business products and the guarantees for service restoral and lost revenue those provide. Telus webmail is a free addon of residential internet. There was no loss in internet service.

I feel for the people who have been impacted by this outage and yes, the response and fix from Telus was sub-par for sure. That being said, demanding compensations with threats to cancel all services is definitely overreacting in my book.

Internet service includes e-mail service. It is part of the internet service that we pay for. Would you pay full price for a half service...I don't think so.

Spinner
Friendly Neighbour

Asked for and received 2 months of compensation.

If and when this is resolved, I will ask for a month of free service for every day the email service has been down.

Spinner
Friendly Neighbour

What the heck are you talking about?

Telus.net email accounts sold as part of the Internet service, not some freebie add-on you incorrectly describe. This is no different than if the Telus DSL modem fails or if the fiber optic cable is cut.

ennjeoajat
Connector

@xray: Telus claims the outage began on the 15th, so you simply take their word for it? @khollett is correct. For some customers the outage started around the 9th. That was when I first got calls from Telus customers with email outages. I wasted too much time diagnosing their email problems only to find that it was Telus email servers failing. Consider yourself fortunate that you were not among those who lost email service for 10 days, but don't be fooled by Telus lies.

xray
All-Star
The current outage was reported by several sources as being caused by Dell EMC accidentally taking Telus.net offline on August 15. When that is corrected whatever was the cause of khollett's email issues starting August 9 will likely still be there. The two are unrelated.
Gilgamesh
Connector

I haven't received any kind of offer, I know that some email. is missing so probably some I don't know about. A major outage like this needs more than apologies, One month rebate at minimum.

ennjeoajat
Connector

@xray: Where do you suppose those "several sources" got their information from? Assertions do not become true merely by multiple sources repeating Telus claims. The customers I was trying to help at about the same time @khollett was first experiencing email problems had their service returning in the same way at the same time as the rest of us (i.e. up and down, partially working, fully working, failing again, and eventually stabilizing, more or less, we hope). Are you surprised that the Telus PR machine would understate the severity and duration of problems? Telus is desperately trying to pacify angry customers and admitting to the full extent of the problem won't help that.

Spinner
Friendly Neighbour

@Gilgamesh wrote:

I haven't received any kind of offer, I know that some email. is missing so probably some I don't know about. A major outage like this needs more than apologies, One month rebate at minimum.

Make sure you put in support emails/tickets or phone Telus during this outage. When it comes time to discussing compensation with a Telus rep, you'll want to have several records indicating that your email service remains out.

mmbwest
Resident

Depends how much longer before full service is restored. Each day it isn't, my price goes up.g

KrisM
Resident

I just got an offer of a $10 refund with some other offers as a bonus (none of which I want). So I've seen $20 offers and various months for free offers. What is the deal here? $10 is just embarrassing. I have had various problems with Telus over the years which makes me wonder at their competency as an internet provider. The email problem is something which never should have happened and to offer your customers a pittance as compensation makes me think their management is totally incompetent. Time to look at other options. I would be curious to see how much business Telus loses over this debacle.

Bushbob
Connector

I see that Shaw has been taking full advantage of this.