cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAP AND STB SAME PORT

CanuckRS
Organizer
Hello, have a question that I hope can be answered.
I have a optik 4k box in the living room and want to run a WAP on the same Ethernet cable by putting a switch between the main router and the TV/wap.. Can this be done and how to do it?
I've tried previously but I keep getting interference from the WAP that kybashes the TV signal.
4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Some switches are better able to pass the multicast TV signal than others. 

What exactly is the error you see?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

TV drops out after a short time.

You would need a switch that supports multicast for the TV box to continue functioning properly. Telus installers use a gigabit switch from ZyXel but they are about to roll out a new switch by a different company. If your install was recent and you have the business card of the tech who did it I would give them a shout and see if they can drop one off for you. Otherwise you'll have to get your own as calling in to Telus to request this will most likely result in a billable dispatch.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have one of the Zyxel switches. I've had zero issues since it was installed behind my PVR. My old Linksys switch couldn't handle things and started malfunctioning after a number of months.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂