cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Type of Telephone Wire needed for service run of 150ft

BedderVedder
Just Moved In

Hello, 

I live rural and am fed up with my Smart Hub and want a landline connection for INTERNET only. Telus has a service box installed approximately 150ft from my house which has had an active account in the past.

Question is...do I need install simple 24 gauge telephone wire for this outdoor run to the phone jack in my house for modem or should I run Cat5 or 6 cable? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The landline portion would be regular exterior telephone cable. As far as I know, Telus would install this, if not already present, as they own the infrastructure up to the demarcation point on your house. Ethernet would all be inside your home.

I suggest confirming availability of DSL service to your home as a first step. You can start here.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The landline portion would be regular exterior telephone cable. As far as I know, Telus would install this, if not already present, as they own the infrastructure up to the demarcation point on your house. Ethernet would all be inside your home.

I suggest confirming availability of DSL service to your home as a first step. You can start here.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Best to call Telus to see if dsl internet is even available being a rural area. Since you have a smart hub one would assume there is no DSL in your area and is phone service only.

Thanks for your feedback. The smart hub has been brought with me from my last rural up the Canyon. Yes DSL is available here but it is my understanding that it's my responsibility to run my wire as it's a complicated hook up. Will call and talk to an agent I guess, hope they just don't "Telme" what I want to hear...Smiley Tongue  

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

One key factor will be if your home has a phone line connected to it currently. If it does, getting things set up may be easier. If a line has to be run to the house, that's where delays can come in, especially if a buried line needs to be installed.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂