cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third party router and extrernal IP

dciarnie
Organizer

Hi, all.

I recently got fibre to my house and decided to take the plunge and move (back) to Telus from Shaw.  I'm going for the "full meal deal" meaning Optik, Internet and Home Phone. 

Installation is happening next week but before then, I want to make sure that I can keep my network setup as close to my current setup as possible which means that I want to have my own router pulling an external IP address.  I initially thought that enabling port 1 bridging would be the way to go but after reading a number of posts in this forum, I'm not so sure.  I came across some posts that suggest that a better way to go would be to use a switch between the ONT and the routers.  Is that true?  It would certainly simplify things in that I would not have to screw around with either the T3200M (assuming that's what I get) and my own router's settings. 

Given that a switch is the way to go, I'm actually wondering if a switch is even necessary.  Pictures I've seen of the Alcatel ONT (now Nokia?) show 4 ethernet ports.  Could I just connect my router to one that's not used by the T3200M?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Only a single port on the ONT will be enabled. They won't enable more. A nice gigabit switch between the ONT and the T3200M / your router would be the best way to do it. The T3200 will be needed for TV specifically so you can just use your own router for your own devices instead. The only snag would be if you have a Optik box connected to a room that your router would normally service unless you're using a wireless set top box instead.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Only a single port on the ONT will be enabled. They won't enable more. A nice gigabit switch between the ONT and the T3200M / your router would be the best way to do it. The T3200 will be needed for TV specifically so you can just use your own router for your own devices instead. The only snag would be if you have a Optik box connected to a room that your router would normally service unless you're using a wireless set top box instead.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Ok.  Sad that Telus won't enable more than one port on the ONT but the $25 or so on a switch isn't a problem.

I'm not too worried about the TVs.  If wireless doesn't work, I assume that the installer will be able to re-use the MOCA setup that I have for Shaw.

Thanks for the info!

I already got the switch so I'm going to try that.  I figure the less interaction with the Telus modem, the better.

I didn't bother with unlimited internet as the 1TB that comes with the 150 package more than meets my needs.

For phone I'm only really interested in call display and voicemail which should be fine.  One thing that Telus has over Shaw is that the call display can use the TV which I like.

Fast forward...well that's another story.  I've used it (or tried to) at other people's homes and I agree that it's a pain in the a**. 

I'm switching to Telus for what they have that Shaw doesn't:

1. HD channels that Shaw refuses to transmit in HD.

2. Symmetric internet speeds

3. 4K support

4. Less expensive overall...at least during the two years that I'm on the Holiday Deal.

We'll see how annoying the fast forward problem becomes.  If Shaw improves in the areas above, maybe I'll switch back in a couple of years.