Somewhat disappointed in 4K

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

Semi irritated! Talked into upgrading to 4K cable, looked forward to the much higher resolution movies, etc. "Lots of shows, just look for the 4K sticker on the corner of the guide for each show". Have not seen anything being broadcast in 4K yet, other that the occasional sportscast, and a few documentaries but nothing of real interest. To top it off, once I upgraded to 4K (obviously you have to have a 4K TV), my surround sound system was not compatible and I needed to upgrade the amp to a 4K receiver.... no one mentioned that. The only plus side is that it really bumped up the internet speed.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
My take on upgrading to 4K:

- Best performance/speed Receiver (compared to older Optik TV receivers)
- 4K Netflix APP
- Easily add a wireless 4K receiver
- More Stream profiles

4K content/live channels are in it's infancy in Canada and the USA. But you won't need to upgrade anytime soon. Consider yourself future proof.

Most live 4K content is mainly sporting events (where the money for brodcasters is) for now. That being said there is plenty of "on demand" 4K content Or Netflix 4K (when you subscribe to 4 Screen Ultra HD plan) to watch. It helps to fill the gap while the industry slowly adapts 4K. I would expect the next year or two we will start to see some 24/7 live 4K content channels.

The main obstacle is the cost of the 4K equipment to brodcasters, and the infrastructure to support it.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Connector
You don't need to plug your HDMI cable directly into your AV receiver to get surround sound. You can use optical cables since the boxes only support Dolby Digital surround sound. On the new 4K Blu-Ray players, they did add two separate HDMI output to those players to split the video and audio form older recovers, since those players offer lossless audio that requires HDMI. But for the Optik 4K boxes a feature like that would be a waste since the box itself doesn't even support lossless audio.

One easy way to pass through surround sound from your TV to the AV receiver is to use ARC. This is a pretty useful feature on many TVs and receivers that allow you to send audio two ways through an HDMI cable. In order to use this feature, both your TV and receiver must have an HDMI port marked ARC. If both have this mark, you can simply connect the ARC HDMI out on your receiver to the ARC HDMI in on your TV, and connect the Optik box to a second HDMI in on your TV. If you don't have this feature, you can instead just connect optical cable from your tv or Optik box to your receiver. Either way will work with Dolby Digital surround sound.
Highlighted
Neighbour
I'd like to know why Telus advertises "Now you can watch all home games in 4K on Optik TV' in regards to Blue Jay's right on the 4k info page. In reality there might be 4 4k games on per month.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

It looks like there are between 4 and 5 home games listed as being aired in 4K each month (plus the re-broadcasts):

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/watch-81-toronto-blue-jays-home-games-sportsnet-4k/

They also broadcast some games on Sportsnet 4K and others on Sportsnet ONE 4K so you'll want to ensure you're looking at the right channel. Any concerns about Sportsnet not airing it in 4K should be directed at Sportsnet.

Also, Rogers has been trying to restrict 4K content to Telus customers specifically. Who knows if they restrict what is aired on the western Sportsnet feeds.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/harmful-regulatory-gamesmanship-rogers-must-let-telus...

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Neighbour
Thanks for your reply. You may have slightly misunderstood my comment. It is right on Telus's website where they quote that you can see every home game in 4K. Well this is simply not true on Telus. Sure I understand that there are reasons this may not be possible out of Telus's control, but why make that statement then to potential Telus Optik customers. Just seems directly misleading.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I didn't misunderstand your concern. Rogers / Sportsnet advertises 4-5 games monthly which is what should be broadcast. That's also likely why Telus has it mentioned on their site as well. Problem is that Rogers/Sportsnet controls whether or not they broadcast them out as 4K and on which of the two channels that will air them. Not Telus. Since Telus is basing what they are advertising on their site from what Rogers is claiming to be offering, it's not misleading. If anything, Rogers is shortchanging consumers in western Canada and if a game should be in 4K (see schedule I liked to in last post) and it isn't, you should be calling them out over it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Neighbour
Hmm, no mention on the Telus website that "watch every Blue Jay's home games in 4K - however if Rogers decides to limit this availability, then you won't be able to watch every home game in 4K"
However I guess we will just agree to disagree.

What Telus perhaps should be advertising is that "we will broadcast Blue Jay's home games subject to availability - not "EVERY"
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Broadcasting works a little differently than you are thinking. Telus does not broadcast anything. Telus isn't responsible for the content that broadcasters, like Sportsnet, decide to air. Telus simply acts as a conduit for content, that the broadcasters decide to air, to travel through.

Highlighted
Resident

The Telus tech providing the set up services had no suggestions for work arounds. No ARC on the receiver, ended up getting a new receiver, again no mention of additional upgrade requirements from Telus at the time they sold the package to me. I find that quite irritating.

Highlighted
Resident

Very irritated, sold Telus Fibre for 4k hockey and find out TSN blackout is in effect so I wont get any NHL on 4k.  Saw one basketball game in 4k and no difference between 4k and HD.  Telus support is brutal, waited for over an hour on my first 3 occasions and still wait a long time.  Would never have switched from Shaw if I would have know this 4k is really not available, virtually, at all.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

If it's any consolation, the blackouts apply to pretty much all distribution channels, as the NHL largely determines what plays and where!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Connector

@texfre, I completely agree with your comment about so called official 4K sports broadcasts looking identical to the regular HD broadcast. I just posted in another thread asking if something was wrong with my TV because I feel like I'm being jipped. Or at least paying for something more and not actually seeing the "more"!

(https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/Optik-4K-issues-with-Sony-Bravia-4K-TVs/td-p/62335...)

Highlighted
Connector

@Nighthawk I totally get that Telus is not the content provider, just the pass through. However, I don't understand how or why an official 4K broadcast looks identical to the regular HD broadcast on Optik?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@jaymac10  unless there is a game to be televised in 4K the remainder of the time the 4K channel replays HD. On my Vizio P Series there is a noticeable difference.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Organizer
@WestCoasterBC wrote:

@jaymac10  unless there is a game to be televised in 4K the remainder of the time the 4K channel replays HD. On my Vizio P Series there is a noticeable difference.

There is a noticeable difference between HD and 4K on my LG OLED TV as well, and it is "only" 55 inches.  Smaller than that, or with a lower quality TV, the difference may not be noticeable.  I am happy with the 4K broadcasts, but wish there were more.

Hoping the winter Olympics is all 4K!

Highlighted
Ambassador

@warrenmr wrote:

Hoping the winter Olympics is all 4K!

CBC is not broadcasting in 4K. There are 2 Sportsnet 4K channels and 1 TSN 4k channel. NBC in the US is not receiving 4K Olympic broadcasts that I know of so I doubt Canada would receive those broadcasts either. Perhaps the 2020 Summer Olympics in Japan?

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@Exhile wrote:

Perhaps the 2020 Summer Olympics in Japan?

If you are in Japan... the Olympics will be in 8K.

http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/tech-news-technology/forget-4k-in-japan-olympics-will-be...

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Japan had 8K for the Rio Olympics also. Japan's internet infrastructure is far better than here and their broadcaster, NHK, always seems to be first with new technology. Most American broadcasters don't seem to be keen on upgrading to 4K yet and Canadian broadcasters are even worse.

Highlighted
Ambassador

@Nighthawk wrote:

Japan had 8K for the Rio Olympics also.

I don't think the Rio Olympics were recorded in 8K but in 1080p. I remember reading an article where Brazil doesn't have the Fibre Optic infrastructure to broadcast in 8K. There isn't even a 5K broadcast let alone an 8K broadcast. Japan is researching & developing 8K technologies but I highly doubt that 8K will be deployed by 2020 because 4K TVs have yet to be adopted by most consumers around the world. 1080p is still standard on YouTube even though they have 4K & 1440p videos.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

They were recorded in 8K for public display back in Japan via satellite. NHK did set up one local 8K screen in Brazil as well.

https://newatlas.com/rio-olympics-8k/44712/

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/play/8k-rio-2016-olympic-games-tokyo-2020-nhk

NHK: 8K Satellite Broadcasting Experiment

Highlighted
Ambassador

8K broadcast of th Tokyo Summer Olympics will likely be for Closed Circuit Television - theatres, etc where there would be a noticeable difference between 8K and HD TV.  As for home television sizes = pffftt.