cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds on wifi (linear speed test)

Kaz
Just Moved In

Hi, I have just had my fibre 150/150 setup and I'm not getting great speed on wifi.

I've setup my own router (D-Link AC1750) and bridged it on port 1 from the T3200M and disabled wifi on the T3200M as well. Router is 5 feet away from my laptop, and I've made sure it's on a different channel that neighbouring wifi networks.

I'm getting good speeds on the Ookla test (160Mbps) but that's multi-thread and not really accurate. On google's speed test, I'm getting closer to 30Mbps down and 2Mbps up!

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 10.48.00 PM.png

wired connection I can only test on AppleTV Ookla speed test app and it's the same as above, it shows 170, but that's multi-threaded.

Any ideas? Browsing the internet, I'm definitely not getting super-fast internet. The Ookla speedtest is totally misleading.

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
I’m not sure what you mean by: “I'm getting good speeds on the Ookla test (160Mbps) but that's multi-thread and not really accurate.”

If multi-threading is how such speeds are delivered, and Ookla is measuring those, I’m not seeing an inaccuracy. To my knowledge, there is no statement from Telus on the methodology of internet speeds.

The folks in the Neighbourhood have repeatedly indicated that the highest speeds are useful for multiple users in a home, rather than expecting those speeds to a single point, so your experience parallels that comment.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

xray
Hero

@Kaz wrote:

Browsing the internet, I'm definitely not getting super-fast internet. The Ookla speedtest is totally misleading.

The Internet itself is not at one speed. The speed you experience is the slowest of the many links between your device and the server you are connected to. Your ISP link from the modem to the Internet is just 1 of the many links. All it takes is 1 link that is slower than the ISP link and you will not be seeing ISP speed. Signing up for 150 service will not magically make any of those other links faster.

Calgarygirl
Just Moved In

I had very slow internet after we got the new modem installed, I eventually solved the problem after many hours of playing around with my Toshiba laptop, by going to their support page and redownloading the driver for my network adapter (Realtec), now it is finally fast again, try it!