cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Google wifi mesh

Naiar
Coach
I’m thinking of purchasing the Google wifi to deal with the dead zones and speed issues in my house that the Telus routers/extenders can’t fix, so I had a few questions.

When I’m setting it up, do I need to give the mesh network a new name or should I keep the same name provided by the T3200M?
Also, I have a wireless optik tv box, will that be affected by any changes made to the router?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Google Mesh creates its own subnet independent of the Actiontec. You will need to maintain the Actiontec Wi-Fi for your Optik TV.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Google Mesh creates its own subnet independent of the Actiontec. You will need to maintain the Actiontec Wi-Fi for your Optik TV.

NFtoBC

So I don’t have to disable the wifi or put the actiontec into bridge mode?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Correct.

You could bridge to the Google Mesh device, but it is not necessary.
NFtoBC

Cizuz
Friendly Neighbour

Unlike what @NFtoBC has said you do not need to maintain or keep the Actiontech to maintain OptikTV. I would suggest getting a Gigabit Switch, replace actiontech and have switch going to Google Mesh. Either that or if you HAVE to keep the Actiontec, turn off Wifi. You shouldn't be broadcasting an unused SSID and saturating channels.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
@Cizuz does Google mesh support IGMP multicast yet? To my knowledge it still doesn’t hence you need the Actiontech or a 3rd party router that supports multicasting.

Cizuz
Friendly Neighbour

@WestCoasterBC that's why I mentioned replacing the actiontec with a switch with POE support and supports those settings, or disabling SSID on actiontech if he chose to keep it.