05-06-2019 11:49 PM
Router firmware: 31.121L.19
I've got a simple service running on tcp port 3000 on one of my computers. I can access it from other computers on my home LAN, so I am pretty sure it is working, but external computers cannot access (timeout errors).
I've got port forwarding set up on the router:
I used a external port scanner to verify that port 3000 is accessible externally, and it checked out ok.
Any ideas what I need to do to get this to work?
Solved! Go to Solution.
05-07-2019 03:44 PM
05-07-2019 01:25 AM
05-07-2019 01:29 AM
No, it's just a simple server I wrote in node.js ... it listens on tcp 3000 only. And yes, the PC running the server has a static IP.
05-07-2019 12:51 PM
05-07-2019 02:21 PM
Port 80 was just an experiment ... I know Telus blocks that one and a few others.
I'm just trying to get a 'proof-of-concept' server running, currently it's apache running on a Windows 10 box with a static IP address. I've got the 'Listen' directive set to 3000. I can pull up a simple web page using 'localhost:3000' on that machine. From other machines on the LAN, I can pull up the same web page using http://192.168.1.90:3000/ no problem. But when I try to access from an external machine, I get a connection timeout.
05-07-2019 02:27 PM
I also did a complete reset on the modem, but still no joy.
I noticed something odd in the Upgrade History page:
It's weird, because on the home page, it shows firmware 31.121L.19. Maybe I should phone Telus tech support and ask for some help.
05-07-2019 03:44 PM
05-07-2019 05:53 PM
Ok, well it is working now! Or maybe it was working all along. I went down to the local library to use one of their computers to try and access my home server and I was able to do so. So my testing with an external machine was the issue. What I did was upload a PHP script to my web host provider and ran it from there. The script would do a HTTP GET request for my home ip address, which failed for some reason. Maybe my web host provider has some kind of blocking going on.
Anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions ... it eventually got me to the solution!