Netgear Orbi RBK50 on Telus 750/750

Teluskinesis
Resident

I am getting Telus 750/750 (internet only). I've also bought Netgear Orbi RBK50 wifi system. Can I use Orbi as the only router (thereby skipping the T3200M router)? Half of the equipments at my home are wired and the rest are on wifi. I have a Synology NAS where I store all the 4K videos (some of the video's bitrate go up to 90Mbps) and would like to stream it over local wifi. I am not sure if the Telus modem/router would be able to handle it. Does anyone else have a similar set up? Any help is appreciated. 

Trev_s
Friendly Neighbour

Guessing you have figured this out by now, but i just wanted to add my own comments to this in case others have or are wanting a similar configuration. 

I have been using the Netgear Orbi RBK50 as my modem with one satellite (hardwired backhaul) connected directly to my telus ONT without issue while on 150/150 + Pik TV. The Orbi serves 30+ devices in my network (IP cam system with NVR, Plex media server, multiple smart home devices, plus all the regular stuff like cellphones and laptops).

Fibre > Telus ONT > Netgear Orbi

I recently upgraded to Optik TV and the Telus tech was not able to get the 4k Optik STB's to work with my above configuration. He ended up having to install a Actiontech T3200m in order to bypass the Orbi to get the STB's to work properly. 

With a little research on my end after the tech had left i found that the STB's require "multicast" support. Fortunately it looks like the Orbi supports this but is disabled from the factory. All that was required was to enable "IGMP Proxyinig" under the WAN settings.

So far so good. No degradation in hardwired or wireless performance and both my TV's are streaming flawlessly. Still getting full wireless 150/150 throughout my 3 level 2000 sq ft townhouse in a crowded wifi neighborhood. Love the Orbi!