Modem

Neighbour

Am I able to place my modem in different rooms? Thanks.

Community Power User
Community Power User

This depends on a number of things, and in some cases would need to move wiring as well. Can you tell us a bit more about your Internet service?

Which modem do you have?

Is it fibre or regular telephone wire?

What speed of service do you have?

If telephone, is there a little dongle where the telephone jack connects to the wall?

Is there more than one telephone jack at the wall plate, and if so, are they labeled?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Neighbour

I Have images of the setup. Don't know if you will find these useful. image.jpegimage.jpg

Community Power User
Community Power User
Looks like they're feeding most your optik tv service with HPNA (coax) at the coax drops. Along with a wireless AP for a wireless receiver. The telephone service drops are located there as well.

Depending how many optik receivers are wired with coax it wouldn't be ideal to try to move it all. Any reason you want to relocate it? I'm assuming they have a range extender on another level.

Not saying you couldn't relocate it all depends how handy you are.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

For myself.... the installer put the modem in the basement.... but with wireless, I don't care where the modem is.

My Optik TV uses wireless cable boxes.  The three TV's can be anywhere in the house where I can find a 120v outlet.

My laptops and other devices run off wifi.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Khabra wrote:

I Have images of the setup. Don't know if you will find these useful. image.jpegimage.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words.  Thanks!

Based on this info, I agree with @WestCoasterBC, a move of the router is possible, though not simple. If you want a more centralized location for your wi-fi, an additional access point might be the best option. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Ambassador

Of course you can, it just depends on how much efforts you want to put in or spend to have someone do the re-wiring of tel and cable for you.  I am just guessing by looking at the photos that you want to be able to close the utility closet door, right?  If that is the case, could some carpentry work achieve the same goal?