cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it reasonable to request Telus run a patch cord to my PC?

Crayfish
Organizer

Hi guys,

Is it reasonable to request that the Telus technician run a patch cord to my PC? When I had a competitors connection, the installation tech ran coax to my PC and then ran a patch cord from the Gateway to my PC. I only need 1 ethernet wire, and my PC is less than 5 metres of cord from my PC to the RJ11 outlet. Is this a reasonable request?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

They are paid by the job, not by the hour. Some of them are very good and put in the effort but they are overshadowed by the guys who would rather do 10 half assed jobs in a single day than 3-5 good ones.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Chicnstu
Leader

Technicians can run a hard wired connection to a device that requires it during the install and a good technician will ask if you require this before he decides where to place your modem. If you require a line run to a device or location after the initial install is complete they can send a tech to do it but you will be charged $75-100 for the truck roll.

Interesting!

When my technician came for the install I specifically told him that I needed to have a hardwired connection straight to my PC. He agreed but then after about an hour he goes "yeah sorry no time" and he just left with a trash install. Not only that, but he left a great big mess of discarded wire clippings everywhere and decided that a good place to plug my router into was the free outlet above my range/stove! Boy I was unhappy. I contacted loyalty and they're sending out a new tech to install..

Yeah that's a garbage install. Wonder if it was a contractor. If you get a quality survey for that original tech definitely tank him on it. That's unacceptable. Those quality surveys are one of the most important metrics that techs are scored on. A bad survey gets the attention it deserves, trust me.

Yes, you definitely need to give feedback to TELUS that you were not satisfied with the install. It doesn't sound like that technician was too interested in keeping his job.

The last TELUS tech that came to my house asked me several times whether I was satisfied with what he did before he left.

Had my services reinstalled, specifically requested a in-house telus technician and I couldn't have been happier with my install. They ran the bonded wire through cat5 and then into my office, where they put the router. All free of charge. I think the contractor's are incentivized to do a quick and easy job as opposed to the telus workers.

They are paid by the job, not by the hour. Some of them are very good and put in the effort but they are overshadowed by the guys who would rather do 10 half assed jobs in a single day than 3-5 good ones.