Huge lag spikes on VOIP calls

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector
I’ve recently started using google‘s hangouts meet for VOIP video calls, which runs very smoothly 99% of the time. Every 5 or 6 minutes however there is a lag spike that will bring the latency temporarily to 200 ms or more, then it will drop back down to normal within a few seconds. This seems to be a regular thing that is happening.

I ran ping plotter to the hangouts meet front end media server (which Google recommends to use for troubleshooting) during a hangouts meet call and it reflected what I saw. There was never any packet loss, but there were always lag spikes every few minutes. I then used ping plotter on various IP addresses at once and it always had these lag spikes

I have the T3200M on TELUS purefibre 50/50 in Vancouver. My internet speedtests from speedtest.net are usually 60 down and 50 up. This testing is on 5 GHz Wi-Fi.

Hangouts meet support recommends to ping/trace route this address for troubleshooting: lens.l.google.com
Highlighted
Connector
Quick update: Interestingly enough, G Suite just emailed me saying there is currently a service disruption with hangouts meet, the very service I talked about. Trace routing that IP address I provided might give abnormal results due to this service disruption. What an interesting coincidence...
Highlighted
Connector
The issue with hangouts meet is supposed to be resolved now.