cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Wiring Help Needed

Mashimaro
Organizer
Hi, hoping someone can help. TELUS rewired one of my jacks a long time ago. The jack/wall plate got damaged over time. I tried to find the same jack but couldn't. Was hoping to just replicate the connection.

TELUS rewired one line to split into Phone and Ethernet passthrough.  TEL DATA.  Can someone tell me where to connect the wires to for the NEW wall plate? Blue, Brown, Orange.

Thanks

Thanks in advanced.IMG_20190222_080708.jpgIMG_20190304_001713.jpgIMG_20190304_001730.jpgIMG_20190304_001743.jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The wall plate you have purchased is not a direct replacement for the damaged one. The old plate has two 8 pin Ethernet connectors, and is not wired in standard telephone fashion. The new has a 4 pin connector and an Ethernet connector. This means the phone side of things would not work with the existing wires which you would be trying to plus into the new wall plate. If you wish to use this new wall plate, with a normal phone cable, and your existing computer connection, here are the correct pin outs:

phone

Pin1 to Red

Pin 2 to Green

computer

Pin 3 to Black

Pin 4 to Red

Pin 5 to Green

Pin 6 to Yellow

However, I suggest you get a wall plate with two Ethernet ports (Leviton makes a plate with individual insertable plugs) instead, so you can wire them as is your current situation. In this instance, the phone line currently connected to 1 and 2 would be attached to the white/green and green pins on the female jack, and the 3,4,5, and 6 lines would be connected like this

Pin 3 to white/orange

Pin 4 to blue

Pin 5 to white/blue

Pin 6 orange

This will recreate your existing plug-in, right down to the hand lettered ‘Tel’ and ‘Data’ notations.

Reference

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The wall plate you have purchased is not a direct replacement for the damaged one. The old plate has two 8 pin Ethernet connectors, and is not wired in standard telephone fashion. The new has a 4 pin connector and an Ethernet connector. This means the phone side of things would not work with the existing wires which you would be trying to plus into the new wall plate. If you wish to use this new wall plate, with a normal phone cable, and your existing computer connection, here are the correct pin outs:

phone

Pin1 to Red

Pin 2 to Green

computer

Pin 3 to Black

Pin 4 to Red

Pin 5 to Green

Pin 6 to Yellow

However, I suggest you get a wall plate with two Ethernet ports (Leviton makes a plate with individual insertable plugs) instead, so you can wire them as is your current situation. In this instance, the phone line currently connected to 1 and 2 would be attached to the white/green and green pins on the female jack, and the 3,4,5, and 6 lines would be connected like this

Pin 3 to white/orange

Pin 4 to blue

Pin 5 to white/blue

Pin 6 orange

This will recreate your existing plug-in, right down to the hand lettered ‘Tel’ and ‘Data’ notations.

Reference

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

You seem like a very helpful person.....can you help me....

I have been out of the country and had 3 flights home canceled on me but now have a flight that will get me home Monday...

My home phone and wifi were on hold and were to be re-connected Mar 25 but my brother called my home and it says the line is not in service...

How can I contact Telus to request a re-connection.....I do not have a bill with me so do not know my account # or code.....

I will go into self isolation for up to 3 weeks and really need the phone and wifi....

Thank you

Contact Telus and let them know the date you need the services turned back on. Depending on what forms of info they have on your account they can verify you without the account number. If your SIN and Driver's license # was provided the last time they did a credit check they can verify you with that info. It depends what they've got on file for your pieces of identification.

Thank you I will try.....