cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre internet 150/150 and Asus AC86U router issues

ConnectMe
Friendly Neighbour

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anyone has experience using the Asus AC86U with internet 150?  I'm having a challenge with getting my AC86U to work properly on the internet 150.  

When I connect the AC86U straight to the T3200M without bridging, I get under 1Mbps up and down which is horribly slow.  I tried the same with my Netgear R7000 and the same slow speed.

When I connect the R7000 directly to the ONT, the speed is amazingly fast at about 175 up and down.  When I connect the AC86U directly to the ONT, I get about 9 up and down only. 

When I use a wireless extender to connect to the R7000 or the T3200M and then connected by Ethernet port to my AC86U, I get 150 up and down.

Is there a Ethernet conflict with the AC86U to the ONT?

Any assistance, suggestions and idea are welcome!  Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In all the scenarios you have listed how are you connecting to the AC86U to judge the speed - wired or wireless?  You only specify wired in one of the scenarios.

I can think of three possible areas for investigation: configuration of the AC86U WAN port, configuration of the AiMesh (a quick look at the AC86U documentation seems to say that sometimes the AiMesh can override a wired connection and that may be why connecting via an extender seems to work fine), and QoS (perhaps QoS is somehow rate limiting traffic through your AC86U WAN port).

Basically because your Shaw connection seems to work fine and your Telus connection doesn't I suspect that the WAN configuration is different between Shaw and Telus.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sounds like a problem with the AC86U in general. Is it at default settings? Newest firmware?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

ConnectMe
Friendly Neighbour

yes default settings and latest firmware.  I just switched from Shaw a couple of days ago and it is the exact same setup.  The only difference is replacing the Shaw modem with the Telus T3200M.  I had internet 75 with Shaw and the AC86U worked flawlessly.  

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Most routers should have no issues at all when connected. I can't think of anything that would bottleneck the speed between the T3200, or the ONT itself, and the router like that unless the router is fighting it somehow. It's very unusual. If you're getting the same result connected right to the fiber terminal, it won't be just the T3200 that the router isn't liking. 

What IP range is your router handing out to connected devices? 192.168.__.x

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

ConnectMe
Friendly Neighbour

192.168.50.2 through 192.168.50.254

I still have my Shaw modem and have not canceled and returned it yet.  When I take the Shaw modem and replace it in the place of the ONT, the AC86U works like a charm. So really confused as to whats happening. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Hmmmmm.... the Actiontec should use 192.168.1.xxx.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

ConnectMe
Friendly Neighbour

Sorry, I replaced the T3200M with the R7000.  

In all the scenarios you have listed how are you connecting to the AC86U to judge the speed - wired or wireless?  You only specify wired in one of the scenarios.

I can think of three possible areas for investigation: configuration of the AC86U WAN port, configuration of the AiMesh (a quick look at the AC86U documentation seems to say that sometimes the AiMesh can override a wired connection and that may be why connecting via an extender seems to work fine), and QoS (perhaps QoS is somehow rate limiting traffic through your AC86U WAN port).

Basically because your Shaw connection seems to work fine and your Telus connection doesn't I suspect that the WAN configuration is different between Shaw and Telus.

ConnectMe
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the suggestions jrueger.

Just to summarize, here are the two ways I have tried by wire:

ONT ==>AC86U

ONT ==> R7000==>AC86U. 

Both ways my speed is about 9Mbps.

When I tried wireless inserting a netgear AC6200 wireless extender between the R7000 and AC86U:

ONT ==> R7000==>AC6200==>AC86U.

My speeds around 150. 

So definitely some kind of conflict on the WAN port of the AC86U with the ONT.  I will try and troubleshoot using your suggestions and report back here.

When I use the exact same setups by going back to my Shaw modem using wire:

SHAW ==>AC86U

SHAW ==> R7000==>AC86U. 

I get full speed.