cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Smart Light Bulb to Telus WiFi Network

TSPortMoody1
Friendly Neighbour
I purchased a smart bulb that will only connect to 2.4ghz network- how do I get my Telus Actiontec modem to manually switch from 5ghz to 2.4 so I can connect bulb?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

See my previous post. You should try to read the online manual, check online support or the instructions for the smart switch to determine if it requires everything to be on the same SSID. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Disable SmartSteering in the wifi settings on the Actiontec. That will create two networks. One 2.4 and one 5GHz.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Do the network passwords remain the same if I split two networks 2.4 and 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can set a password for each. You can have them the same if you like. Just use slightly different network names so you can tell which is the 2.4 vs 5.

What if we have a boosters that show their own separate network. Will the smart device work if my phone is connected to boost wifi and the smart device to the 2.4 of the modem

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It will really depend on the smart device and the app used to control it. Some will work across separate networks in the home. Some will require the phone to be on the same network as the smart device. There are so many different devices out there it's hard to give an exact answer.

Hello
Here was the original query
I have a Telus t3200 modem with two frequency 2.4 and 5 which are setup in the garage. So, to get connectivity till the top floor
I have 2 boosters installed which run on their own separate network and all my devices are connected to that. One of the booster is hardwired to the modem but still makes own network. I want to install a meross smart switch which I think only runs on 2.4 ghz. So my question is that if my phone is connected on the booster wifi and I send a command through apple home kit to the smart switch. Will it execute that command ? And will i have any problem setting up the switch.
Thanks

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

See my previous post. You should try to read the online manual, check online support or the instructions for the smart switch to determine if it requires everything to be on the same SSID.