cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can NOT access website with Telus network!!??

Sandro
Just Moved In

I am trying to build my girlfriend a blogging website, but for some reason I can't access it over ANY Telus network (Home Wifi OR Cellular data)!

I used a VPN and my university network, and was able to access it no problem. Any ideas why it won't work over the Telus network??? 

The site is francescadrake.com

30 REPLIES 30

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

How recently did you set the DNS on the domain? It can take anywhere from 2-48 hours for DNS to update across the web when it's changed which will mean that for servers that haven't updated yet, the site will not work. If it was set to GoDaddy from the date it was first registered (11/05) then I can't say for sure why it's not working with Telus. That would be well over the 48 hour window.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Change your DNS in your router settings to Google's (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4). See if that works.

You can change your DNS on your PC.  You don't have to do it on the router.

That domain's IP is 107.180.46.160 on both my TELUS connection and an alternate connection, so we can eliminate DNS being the cause of the problem.

However, I can confirm that IP does not even respond to ping on TELUS's network, but it does literally everywhere else.  A traceroute also does not indicate a response from any hop.

TELUS's tech support will likely not be intelligent enough to understand this problem much less report it to someone who can solve it.  It will likely be less trouble/faster to switch web hosts.  I recommend FullHost.  Their hosting starts at $7/month but it's billed in Canadian dollars so is around the same price as GoDaddy.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Contact your hosting provider because your Zone records are incorrect. Not sure if you were playing around with it, but the site will never resolve to the domain name with what was in there.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

Ya DNS can be changed on the local computer, but I always recommend using google's anyways.

I didn't even try to ping the IP, and that is something I've never seen before. I'd be asking Telus whats going on there, but @Mango is probably right, you probably won't get anyone who understands what you are talking about.

Pic below of the ping result for that IP, left is Telus, right is Shaw.

pingwtf.PNG

Are both machines on last segment of same subnet?? If so likely they are firewalled from any communication whatsoever for security reasons. Keep in mind the residential package was never intended for hosting and this is likely one of the reasons why.

@Foonus wrote:

Are both machines on last segment of same subnet?? If so likely they are firewalled from any communication whatsoever for security reasons. Keep in mind the residential package was never intended for hosting and this is likely one of the reasons why.

The IP that OP's domain points to is owned by GoDaddy, so this isn't being hosted on Telus, but for some reason it's not accessible from telus.

Ok, have had issues with it when it is hosted locally and others on same subnet are trying to view it, port 80 or not. GL

@Foonus wrote:

Ok, have had issues with it when it is hosted locally and others on same subnet are trying to view it, port 80 or not. GL

Ok, this quote got screwed up, Foonus must have edited his post 😛

OP's host is GoDaddy, see here:

dns.PNGwhois.PNG

Strange.

Have them check their firewall / IDS ... wouldn't be the first time an IP (or range of IP's) blocked due to a malicious user...

I did edit trying to get reply in to your comment. 

Was working for a customer one morning had a potential client call them and say "your website is down". Couldn't figure out why for a while then i checked IDS software and turned out his IP had been hammering it with script attacks that last nite.. so it blocked his IP.  Needless to say He hung up the phone without a word when he was informed as to the reason he couldn't see the website...

If Telus auto blocked an IP from a known web host that uses that IP for 100s, potentially 1000s of websites then they really need to rethink their policy. Same if the web host has blocked an IP range from Telus. Chances are that's what has happened, however I have no idea how you would get it fixed. Telus tech support will likely not understand your problem, GoDaddy support might if you get a decent rep.

us3r
Just Moved In

My apologies resurrecting this but I have a similar issue and don't know what's going on.

I can't access my websites when using mobile data (LTE). They either don't load or show completely different content. It's like my websites are hijacked and redirected when on mobile data. 

The content shown changes all the time. Right now when accessing my websites on LTE, the content shown is either from dnsmadeeasy (107.170.2.22), f5 networks, inc. (hostname onhood-srvr-38-bipmob02.eng.telusmobility.com). 

The websites work correctly on home network, wifi, vpn etc.

I've been having this issue for months now. It seems like an issue with Koodo/Telus network.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

What websites are you having these issues with?

Is it only on LTE, or also on 3G?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

dnsmadeeasy is an enterprise DNS service. Is your phone a work phone by chance?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

DavinG
Helpful Neighbour

Have you resolved this issue with Telus yet? My wife and I recently switched over our internet from Shaw to Telus and since switching, my wife's website stopped working (lifelikethis.ca). Her website works when she is using LTE on Rogers network but doesn't work when I use LTE on Telus network. Also will not work on Telus wifi connections at work or at home. Her site works with LTE on Sask-Tel's network too. It seems the issue is with Telus given we are able to access her website from any provider other than Telus. 

We've contacted GoDaddy with no luck (they are able to access her website) and I've spend hours and hours trying to troubleshoot this issue with Telus with no luck. It's been several months, and we still can't access her website...we are seriously considering switching back to Shaw. 

Looking to see if your issue has been resolved and if so, what was done to get it working again???

I'm having the exact same issue!

I developed a website for the Vancouver Street Dance Festival which is a community organization.

I received a call a few months ago that the website was being suddenly blocked ONLY by Telus networks.

All Telus networks whether wired, wifi, mobile data everything has blocked us.

I have a fair bit of development experience and I still have no idea what to do aside from changing hosts, I might lose money

because of this and it's negatively impacted us. We have no copyrighted material and our own videos.

We're on a shared IP with Godaddy, I've done blacklist checks and it seems no one else on our IP is blacklisted.
I've contacted Godaddy and all they did was sell me an SSL certificate saying that was this issue (I had serious doubts).
I checked my code, got ssl on the site and nothing is different.

Godaddy blames Telus and Telus has been similarily unhelpful just being dismissive and blaming Godaddy, all the while giving a phoney customer service facade saying "We would never do anything to our loyal customers".
I've run traceroute tests and the connection always gets blocked at TELUS.

I'd really like to know what's going on, not just for our sake but for all of yours too, what an absolute waste of time.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Out of curiousity, what is the IP of the shared server your site is hosted on? 

DavinG
Helpful Neighbour

@Nighthawk wrote:

Out of curiousity, what is the IP of the shared server your site is hosted on? 

Mine is 107.180.4.153