cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking Guest Network on T3200M to LAN ports

oc
Just Moved In
I have successfully created a guest network on my T3200M. But when I connect my laptop to the guest network (after the computer has forgotten the main network), I was able to ping all LAN connected devices (Pik TV and a NAS). In fact, I was able to connect to the NAS from the guest network by typing the local IP (192.168.1.xxx). This is defeating the purpose of having a guest network since users on both networks can reach the LAN connected devices. It is probably a security risk too.

A Telus tech support person checked the router's settings over a remote session and he came to the conclusion that nothing can be done on the T3200M. Of course actiontec doesn't support the router... Ideally I would like to keep the Pik TV and NAS on the LAN ports for the better speed and easy troubleshooting (for the NAS).

So, here are my questions:

1. Could he be wrong? If so, please let me know what settings should be applied.

2. Is there any 3rd party router that provides the desired segregation while compatible with Telus network? (Of course Telus tech support told me that no 3rd party router will work with their network).

3. If answers to both questions are no, do you have any suggestion in terms of adding a second router to my home network? I'm thinking the guest users will probably be connected to the second router, but this idea not set in stone.

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sorry for the delayed response. I only just now had the time to dig around on this.

@oc wrote:

1. Could he be wrong? If so, please let me know what settings should be applied.

2. Is there any 3rd party router that provides the desired segregation while compatible with Telus network? (Of course Telus tech support told me that no 3rd party router will work with their network).

3. If answers to both questions are no, do you have any suggestion in terms of adding a second router to my home network? I'm thinking the guest users will probably be connected to the second router, but this idea not set in stone.

Thanks in advance.

1. Just tested with a much more experienced friend present. We could not connect from the guest SSID to ANY devices on my LAN either by name, or by IP address when connected to 2.4 GHz, but could when connected to 5GHz. Doing more digging. 
    1. EDIT: If you disable SmartSteering, you can then disable the Guest 5GHz SSID, leaving both 2.4 and 5 on your main SSID. Of course you lose advantage of SmartSteering.
  2. Asus routers used by my friend provide this option, but will not work for Optik TV.
  3. There are instructions on bridging port 1 in the Articles section of this site.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sorry for the delayed response. I only just now had the time to dig around on this.

@oc wrote:

Thanks in advance.

1. Just tested with a much more experienced friend present. We could not connect from the guest SSID to ANY devices on my LAN either by name, or by IP address when connected to 2.4 GHz, but could when connected to 5GHz. Doing more digging. 
    1. EDIT: If you disable SmartSteering, you can then disable the Guest 5GHz SSID, leaving both 2.4 and 5 on your main SSID. Of course you lose advantage of SmartSteering.
  2. Asus routers used by my friend provide this option, but will not work for Optik TV.
  3. There are instructions on bridging port 1 in the Articles section of this site.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"