Anyone seen this? Is this a scam?

omg2321
Friendly Neighbour

Screenshot (1).png

Community Power User
Community Power User

Looks like a scam to me.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
omg2321
Friendly Neighbour

it just pop out of nowhere. do you think I have a virus or something?

xray
All-Star

Yes it's a scam.

If you follow through (WHICH YOU SHOULDN'T DO) it will likely gather a bunch of information from you then ask you to pay a fee to collect your prize.

omg2321
Friendly Neighbour

do you think I have a virus or something? I just turned on my browser, did nothing and it popped out like after 10 seconds.

xray
All-Star
If you didn't click on anything on that site you should be okay. How did you end up on the CA-WIN in the first place? It's a new domain that was just created in July so it doesn't look like a legit business.
omg2321
Friendly Neighbour

idk I just turn on my browser and it popped out after 10 seconds

xray
All-Star
If you encounter suspicious pop-ups like this in the future it's alwasy safer to close the tab for the site rather than clicking on the pop-up, even if the pop-up shows a CLOSE button. The button on the pop-up may not actually do what the label says. Typically these kinds of scam pop-ups will show some dire message about your computer having a virus and you need to click on the link to get rid of it.
omg2321
Friendly Neighbour

But this site popped out as a new tab in my browser. so is it safe to just close my browser

xray
All-Star

@omg2321 wrote:

idk I just turn on my browser and it popped out after 10 seconds

Close the tab then close the browser. Reopen the browser and if it goes to that site again then it's likely that your browser homepage is now set to that site. This can happen if you visit a scam site that tricks you into setting itself as your browser homepage. If this is the case then go to your Edge settings and change it to open a valid website or a blank tab.

omg2321
Friendly Neighbour

this thing popping up doesn't mean I have a virus right?

Darlene1
Coach

I get these too, it's a scam, just don't  click on it

wolf927
Friendly Neighbour

When I saw these, I was excited.  But in following the link, lo and behold it is pop-up advertising.  A scam?  I could not say, but probably one of those things, that if it sounds to good to be true - it is.  Anyway - nothing to do with any Telus offer.