cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dual-path communication failure

Jetwash
Just Moved In

Hello all,

For the last week or so, my Alarm.com app has been saying that there is a dual-path communication failure-broadband.  When I go to the fix it option, it will scan to my WIFI but won't connect.  I've tried both the auto and manual setup.  My panel seems like it hasn't any problems, and I get streaming from my cameras ok.  Same with the app, but I still have the error note.  Has anyone experienced this sort of thing and is there a fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JamesStewart
Organizer

I was getting this error.  I found that the panel is forcing the use of Google DNS.  For me, I had to unblock access to Google DNS IPs on my network and any communication errors were instantly resolved.

Generally speaking, products that try to override my network's DNS settings are trashed; I don't use them.  But, I can't exactly toss out my security system because somebody thought it a good idea to hardcode DNS settings into their firmware.

When communicating over the cellular network, it can use whatever DNS it wants, but it should be using the DHCP-assigned DNS when connected to WiFi.  🤷

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello. That's not an error I've heard as of yet, and your best bet would probably be to reach out to our team directly at 1-855-255-8828 so they can investigate further.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have been seeing the same for a few months now. Both Internet and cellular connectivity seem to work, but their notification remains. I haven't called in to try to fix it, as there really doesn't seem to be a problem, except for the notification.

If you find a solution, please share here.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Organizer

This error message just started today for me. The pannel shows that it is connected to my home WiFi and nothing changes when I try and re-connect to WiFi. I ran a test of my router and it checks out. Also ran a WiFi connection test of the Qolsys panel and it came back okay. I will call tech support later this week. Please share if a solution is found.

image_6487327.JPG

JamesStewart
Organizer

I was getting this error.  I found that the panel is forcing the use of Google DNS.  For me, I had to unblock access to Google DNS IPs on my network and any communication errors were instantly resolved.

Generally speaking, products that try to override my network's DNS settings are trashed; I don't use them.  But, I can't exactly toss out my security system because somebody thought it a good idea to hardcode DNS settings into their firmware.

When communicating over the cellular network, it can use whatever DNS it wants, but it should be using the DHCP-assigned DNS when connected to WiFi.  🤷

Was a solution found. My son has been trying for 3 days … his online games won’t work . Upgraded my wifi 2 weeks ago, this issue started 4 days ago

Organizer

A router restart fixed this for me.