cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security (ADT) Upgrades Required Due to 3G Going Away

DS256
Friendly Neighbour

I have received at least 2 registered letters and more than half a dozen calls on the need to upgrade my old ADT solution because cellular 3G is going away.

I keep getting calls despite the following points I make that I am not interested:

• I have two connections to Telus/#ADT. A LAN/Ethernet connection and a 3G cellular backup. So from what I can see, I am losing the backup. None of the agents seem to have an idea that customers can have two connections and are only losing one.
  • My system is too old to upgrade. The cost for a new system is around $1,200. The last agent said I could get a $500 discount but that's still $700.
  • No one has said if I upgrade if I will have both a LAN connection as well as a cellular backup with a new system. In other words, if I lose 3G, and go to one connection to Telus, is that the same as a new system?
  • The last time I looked, none of the Canadian cellular carriers had announced an end-of-life date for 3G. There were some mentions of 2025. It's just not cell phone users that use 3G but it has other industrial uses. Those manufacturers will not be happy to tell customers they have to buy new machines because Telus and others they are dropping 3G.

I don't feel Telus is being completely transparent about this. I am also upset about continually being contacted about upgrading when I've said no. I do not know who to complain to. I found this public forum and hope someone can direct me to a Telus Ombusman to raise my concerns too.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Of course !

They want (I suspect) everyone on the same platform hardware wise.

"Smart Security" with batteries that die in the motion sensors...

For what I have here..motions, doors, a T rep said nothing they currently offer can match all the motions and zones, number wise. That was 1.5 years ago. Let's see if the "Community Mgr" can come up with a solution that pleases YOU the customer some day.... KEEP us all posted !!!!! 😊😉

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello! I'll send you a private message to discuss further, see what we can do!

DS256
Friendly Neighbour

A-B the Community Manager put me in touch with the escalation service this week. I missed one call from them, they did not leave a return phone number, said she would call back, but I have not received any further calls over the last two days.

I also received a second registered letter this week from Telus telling me to book my security upgrade. This time I had to drive to the post office to get since I was not home when it was delivered and I had to sign for it. I was not rather p*ssed of at the 2nd registered letter in a week.

My wife wants us to cancel our Telus/ADT service because the repeated phone calls and registered letters are getting to the point of harassment given I've already told numerous agents I don't want to pay the $1,200 replacement cost (I can't be upgraded) even if there is a $500 discount.  

Hello again. I reached out personally to the callback manager to advise her that you'd still like to speak with her asap. She'll be in touch as quickly as possible. Appreciate your patience.

I had a call from the escalation manager. There are two major concerns with the call.

The first was that she said I needed to give her my password in order for her to access my account. I said I don't give out this information to which she said she couldn't fuily help me. I said I was surprisd that Telus would ask for my password which led me to believe this 'escalation manager' may be part of a 3rd party marketing company retained by Telus.

When I explained I was upset that Telus was pushing for me to upgrade because my backup 3G connection would be going away and I have never been told about my primary Internet connection to Telus, she seemed baffled and to research this. She came back and said that if I lost 3G backup I would still have the Internet. This is what no one had been able to tell me before.

I'm disappointed with Telus's marketing approach on the unannounced date when 3G disappears in trying to upgrade customers.

Suspect telus is trying to get all the old ADT systems off their system, so what better time !

3G will go away one day, but I'm running my cell on 3G on purpose, to await a notice !!

Last year the neighbor was told her old ADT system is "obsolete" so she cancelled her service.

I too have an ADT system, and joyfully await the day I'm contacted.

Best of luck in the fight !!!!

@ExTelis wrote:

Suspect telus is trying to get all the old ADT systems off their system, so what better time !

I never considered that @ExTelis. Makes sense since they said mine can't be upgraded. That seemed surprising to me since the 3G backup is it's own box leading to an antennae in my garage.

Of course !

They want (I suspect) everyone on the same platform hardware wise.

"Smart Security" with batteries that die in the motion sensors...

For what I have here..motions, doors, a T rep said nothing they currently offer can match all the motions and zones, number wise. That was 1.5 years ago. Let's see if the "Community Mgr" can come up with a solution that pleases YOU the customer some day.... KEEP us all posted !!!!! 😊😉

Unfortunately your suspicion is not correct. If you're having issues with your SmartHome Security system, feel free to reach out to the team directly or let me know if I can be of any assistance and I'll do what I can.

Sorry you had issues with the call.

1. Our escalation managers, like our frontline, always require for accounts to be authenticated/verified. This is a practice that has been implemented for years and years and years. Despite what some may say online or what people like to say, this has always been the case and is for our customer privacy and protection. Our team will always want to 100% verify the identity of who they're speaking to before divulging any info or making any changes to an account. TELUS is not the only company or place where a password is needed before anything further can be done.

2. That 'escalation manager' is just that. An escalation manager. Not 3rd party. TELUS.

3. Our escalation team may indeed need to verify with appropriate teams to confirm that the information they provide is 100% accurate. Otherwise, what is the point of having the conversation.

Have a great day.

A-B I appreciate your help but your comment of "TELUS is not the only company or place where a password is needed before anything further can be done." does not resonate with my experience. Yes, I'm asked to authenticate with information over the phone but not a password. I may be asked to login during a chat session with this is an out-of-band request to a separate app and not part of the chat. The chat agent is notified when I've been authenticated. My experiences come from dealing with other telcoms and banks.

My main point in all of this is are the people contacting me about upgrading are not referring to my 3G cell service as the fallback Telus connection. They don't even acknowledge I have an internet connection and seemed confused when I mention it. It tool the escalation manager to confirm this. The front line people should know.  IMHO, Telus is not being completely transparent on the impact of loss of 3G sometime in the future on existing ADT users.