cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New box - never boots up properly, must unplug every day!

ssouci
Organizer

OK, so I've had the new box for roughly 1 month now

so far it is generally OK, but I'm having a very irritating problem

I watch PikTV nightly, and when I click on the remote's power button, my TV and the PikTV box both come to life as they should (I can see the light on the box change from blue to white)...

however, I always get a pure black screen, and the PikTV app does not start up like it's supposed to (except if I had previously shut down while watching Netflix, the box starts up in Netflix, and it works fine)

so I'm stuck, and the only recourse is to pull the power cord from back of the box, wait 30 secs, then reconnect... the box then reboots fully (rather slowly), and then PikTV app starts up normally and it seems to work fine after that... so I have to do this every day!

also, sometimes even when the PikTV app is working, when I press Guide then try to access any channel, I get a black screen with any error message (in plain white text), telling me that "an error has occurred and to retry, etc".... the only recourse is to once again, plug the plug and fully reboot

this is extremely inconvenient, and it never happened with the old PikTV box

any ideas and is anyone else seeing this same problem??? thanks

PS:

- the PikTV box is new from 1 month ago

- I could not find option to update firmware

- I could not find any way to update or clear the PikTV app, like with the old box

- I am hooked up to the internet via hardwire

8 REPLIES 8

ssouci
Organizer

RE: "except if I had previously shut down while watching Netflix, the box starts up in Netflix, and it works fine"

to clarify: in that scenario, Netflix will work fine, but switching into PikTV from Netflix will not... for example, if I press Guide from there

ssouci
Organizer

anyone???....... very hard to believe that I am the only one with this issue

is there anything I should try, and is there a way to force the PikTV app to completely reinstall?

ssouci
Organizer

- using ethernet hardwire vs. wireless connection makes no difference

- unplugging & rebooting PikTV box makes no difference

- unplugging & rebooting Telus wireless router makes no difference

- watching Netflix is fine, watching YouTube is fine

ssouci
Organizer

CLARIFICATION RE: "sometimes even when the PikTV app is working, when I press Guide then try to access any channel, I get a black screen with any error message (in plain white text), telling me that "an error has occurred and to retry, etc".... the only recourse is to once again, plug the plug and fully reboot..."

sometimes the app will appear to load, but I can't do anything else from there... for example, the guide will even show up (not sure if it's current?), and if I choose any channel, I get a white plain text error message telling me to "contact telus.com/telustverrors", which I went to and it's useless

in this "false working" scenario, the app appears to be there and loaded -- but it's useless... I can tell when this is the case, because if I go to Live TV, there is no channel auto-playing, and no immediate sound (which there should be, and if there is, that tells me that the app is working properly)

exactly the same problem here.  thought telus was a leader in the industry. garbage!!

Same problem here too. Pik box seems to be losing the wifi signal, even though the preferences say the signal is excellent. 

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess that's the best we should expect.

ssouci
Organizer

waited for over 1 hour last week to get patched into tech support (after explaining this all to someone lower down), and finally had to just hang up

ssouci
Organizer

apparently, the support ticket number for this issue is: # 23733

still not resolved as of May-19-2022