cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium Content add-on discount

Mustwatch
Neighbour

Having signed a 2 year Contract for Optik TV & Internet, this month of March 2024, the "Premium Content add-on discount" was reduced from $10.00 to $7.00 going forward. I can understand if Crave, Netflix & Amazon change fee prices but on a Contract Basis, no one has yet explained why this discount is being reduced. I negotiated in good faith to get the best price at renewal and would expect Telus to honor their commitment. Tried on Chat & Twitter but no one can get me an answer as to why this was reduced as it's not on a monthly basis subject to change. Board Members please! Next stop; CRTC.

Thanx!

7 REPLIES 7

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Did you change your premium selection and has your final monthly bill actually changed or just the discount? Individual premiums have different regular monthly prices (Crave is $20, for instance, while Disney+ is $15 and Apple TV+ is $13), so could it be that the discount is variable based on what's on your account?

Thanks!
Nothing has changed other than deleting BBC News and adding FX.
This Discount I think was given as a negotiated discount so, should not change over the course of the contract. My bill has, of course, increased by $3.00 as a result of the reduction in Discount by $3.00.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

OK. Your best bet would be to get in touch with a customer service rep and ask for it to be escalated if you're not satisfied with the outcome. 

There are some discounts that are set to percentages and are variable dollar amounts depending on what the 'thing' is that's being discounted. Equipment is a good example; you get one box included on a service agreement, but the regular monthly charge could be anywhere from $5 to $20, so the discount is set to be 100% of the first box, rather than $20. 

NikkiSinclair
Neighbour

I have exactly the same issue. My "Premium add-on discount" has been reduced from $10.00 to $7.00, too, with no explanation. The cost of the Premium content itself has stayed the same. Amazing that a contract price, negotiated for two years, can suddenly change without explanation. 

NikkiSinclair
Neighbour

Exactly the same things has happened to me. My "Premium Content add-on discount" was reduced from $10.00 to $7.00 on this month's bill with no explanation. I have a two-year contract with Telus that includes a $10.00 "Premium Content add-on discount" so not sure how Telus can simply reduce this discount with no notification or explanation.

NikkiSinclair
Neighbour

So here is what Telus has to say about this. Crave increased in cost by $2.01 and so Telus is increasing the cost of Crave to customers through a reduction in the "Premium add-on discount" of $3.00. When I asked why the price to telus users was increasing by $3.00 when the cost of Crave has risen by only $2.00 I was told "Please understand that the rate increase we have for TELUS is not based on the increased of the channels. We do this for improving and investing in Optik TV to better serve customers, including integrating streaming services and expanding channel offerings."

So, it really looks like Telus is taking advantage of a cost increase in Crave to increase overall costs and make more money. It seems really underhand to sneak in a price increase under the guise of a cost increase in Crave.

Mustwatch
Neighbour

Telus is being underhanded about this. We both agreed and signed a contractual 2 year agreement for services at a "fixed" premium that should remain in force until contract expiry. However, Telus has seen fit to change the contract mid-term without suitable advice or notice of the change at expiry.

Guess we'll let Radio-TV / CRTC have a peek at my complaint and see where this goes.

I would have to pay a penalty if I cancelled my 'contract' but not Telus! How disappointing!!