cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVR recordings freezing

DIY
Neighbour

PVR constantly freezing  on recorded shows. During a half hour recorded show recordings will freeze 3 times for a duration of about 6 seconds each time. This has happened for some time now have been in touch with TELUS technicians, the modem has been rebooted several times, a sequencial reboot has been done several times. (have spent HOURS on phone speaking with various technicians and trying different senareios) All set boxes are wired ethernet and Telus supplied ethernet swithes are installed (have plugged PVR directly to modem, no difference) Live TV seems to be OK (every once in a while brief freeze) Internet great. Technicians have been to house, tested all the ethernet, switch connections etc. Finally found a technician who suggested to replace PVR, since they don't supply the one I had and offered a 4K PVR, installed replacement PVR unit NO difference exact same conditions happen with recorded shows. Unfortunately still have a number of months left on this contract but am not impressed with this product, very frustrating when trying to watch recorded shows. Any suggestions ? Comments 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you’re having intermittent freezing even on LIVE tv you have a line issue to your home. Or an issue inside the home. Till that is rectified you will continue to have issues.

Request a service call so they can inspect your connection. Note what times it freezes when watching live tv, so they have a better idea for pinpointing the issue.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you’re having intermittent freezing even on LIVE tv you have a line issue to your home. Or an issue inside the home. Till that is rectified you will continue to have issues.

Request a service call so they can inspect your connection. Note what times it freezes when watching live tv, so they have a better idea for pinpointing the issue.

Fibre to the house. Copper to the modem. One modem port to the PVR, second modem port to tP link switch, additional set boxes from switch.

tedfroop
Helpful Neighbour

Power Down and restart your PVR.  Since I got a 4k tv and Arris VIP5662W box I find if I watch a fair amount of 4k I have to restart the box every couple weeks or it starts freezing like you describe - first on 4k sources only then in the guide then in everything.

There must be a memory leak somewhere in the software.

OK thanks I have tried this all ready doesn't seem to make a difference.

tedfroop
Helpful Neighbour

Then its a data rate problem.  From what you said your setup is,  I would first suspect cables as an issue.

Is it possible to switch to a different cable temporarily?  

Or purchase and run a new cable? 

An old trick but on the male end of the cable you can use a pencil eraser on the copper contacts to clean them.  If it helps, replace the cable, if I replace cables I usually replace with the highest spec available (Cat 7) because if I do upgrade network switches down the road it's one less thing to upgrade.

Thanks, newer house cable from ONT to modem is CAT5 finished house so re routing cable not an option at this point. Cables from modem to PVR & switch are new CAT 6 cables. Technicians have tested all cables to set boxes as well. Shows such as Netflix, Telus Presents do not freeze. On the TV that has the PVR the connected to after the picture freezes the screen will display the signal lost screen for a few seconds before the picture resumes. Live TV will occassionally freeze mostly on certain channels CBC seems to be the worst