cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K WiFi STB Won't Connect to Telus Boost

mikhubb
Friendly Neighbour

I have a Telus T3200M router/modem. I have an ethernet cable going to an Access Point (Netgear WNDR3700v3) in another room in the house and a further ethernet cable going to my 2nd Telus Boost at the farthest point in the house. This 2nd Telus Boost connects with the led showing blue and the Connect app shows properly/good and says that it is “wired” and “the booster is connected via Ethernet cable”. So, from what I can tell everything looks good at this point.

Is this a valid way to connect the 2nd Telus Boost and/or is there some configuration I need to do on my Access Point?

I ask that question because the problem comes when I try to connect a New Telus Wireless 4K box which is sitting NOT 2 feet from that 2nd Telus Boost described above. The wifi signal picked up by the STB is so weak and even though the STB connects a TV channel will only play for 1-2 seconds before freezing that the weak wifi signal CANNOT be coming from this 2nd Telus Boost. I can only assume the STB is picking the weak wifi signal up from the 1st Telus Boost wired to T3200M or from the T3200M itself. When I am standing right beside and connected by wifi to the 2nd Telus Boost I get a download speed of 25mbps which is good for my Internet 25 package by the way.

I am in IT, but I am not a network junky so any help would be greatly appreciated. I think this should be pretty simple to solve, but I just can’t figure it out as it is like there is information overload when looking through other posts in the community.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sorry I missed the bit about disabling the wireless on the T3200M. Have you tried using the WPS button on the booster to pair with the STB? There are self install guides here:

How to prepare for Optik TV self install | TELUS Support 

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

This may be of use:

Solved: How to connect wireless 4k box to wifi booster? - TELUS Neighbourhood

Depending on the Boost device you have there may be additional ethernet ports available on it. You could then use a wired connection to the 4K box.

mikhubb
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks, but I had already read this post and many others and they don't truly address the issue.

mikhubb
Friendly Neighbour

I have done some more testing (powered down ALL both boosts which are model DWS) and proven that my new wireless STB (Arris model VIP5602WT) will ONLY PAIR WIRELESSLY with my Telus Modem/Router T3200M. The wireless STB will NOT pair to the main boost with that boost wired into the T3200M and the wifi turned OFF on the T3200M.

So I am at a loss. Why will my wireless STB NOT connect via the Boost wired to the T3200M?

Then, once that is solved, then I can tackle having the wireless STB connecting via a Boost wired to an Access Point (not directly to the T3200M) 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have a similar configuration. Not sure which Boost you have but I have disabled wireless entirely on the T3200M. Possibly try that and then restart the STB.

mikhubb
Friendly Neighbour

The boost model just says DWS as mentioned in the prior post. Also mentioned in the prior post I did exactly that, disables the wireless completely on the T3200M, wired the Boost to the T3200M and the Boost was running correctly and the Boost was only a couple of feet away from the STB, restarted the STB (went through STB restart multiples times actually) and the STB just would NOT connect via the Boost.

I am trying to get some tech support as well. I am sure it is probably some simple, but if you don't know what it is it can be really difficult to figure out.

Thanks again.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sorry I missed the bit about disabling the wireless on the T3200M. Have you tried using the WPS button on the booster to pair with the STB? There are self install guides here:

How to prepare for Optik TV self install | TELUS Support 

mikhubb
Friendly Neighbour

OMG thanks FuzzyLogic.

It was truly as simple pressing the WPS button on the back of the Boost once the pairing screen came up on the TV after the initialization of the Wireless STB. All is good, 4 bars on the wifi connection indicator on the Wireless STB and TV is playing channels with no freezing or skipping.

The Self-Install instruction actually don't say to do that. They ONLY reference pressing the WPS button on the T3200M Modem/Router.

Anyway again many thanks. The Wireless STB is now connected to the Boost that is wired to an Access Point (old router converted to an AP) which is then wired to the T3200m Modem/Router. All works as expected. Woo Hoo!!!!

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Solutions are often simple. Finding them not necessarily so. Glad you got it working.