cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to my Telus account if one subscriber switches to Koodo

MycoAstro
Neighbour

My wife and I are Telus Mobility subscribers. I kept my phone after my Bring it Back deadline. My wife's phone is still on contract with Telus. I would like to switch to Koodo because I now own my phone and we are in an area where we can't get 5G so no point paying a premium for that. If I switch myself to Koodo what happens to my wife's account - currently I am the main account holder so her phone account is under my phone number? Will Telus cancel her account as well, or will they promote her to the main account holder, or what? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Koodo is owned by TELUS so would be on the same network but there are some differences. So major downsides might have are depending on how much data you use that Koodo is a set amount and then pauses and asks if want to pay for additional data where TELUS has the unlimited plans where your data just slows down without any overage charges.

The other big difference is Koodo is designed to be a self serve brand where TELUS is more full service so whereas you call TELUS you are able to talk to someone with Koodo it sends you to a chat bot to go through and then if can’t be solved through it are able to schedule a callback.

One thing might notice though is because you are running on the TELUS network with Koodo that if you do a 3G or 4G plan you might still see 5G on your phone depending on the area you are in as the 3G/4G plans are just an upload/download speed cap.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CJR
Ambassador

If you transferred your number over to Koodo the TELUS account would remain under your name as the credit check is conducted on the primary account holder. The only changes should notice are only one number on the account instead of the two and depending on the plans you were on you may loose the Family Discount so the remaining plan may increase a bit in that case.

MycoAstro
Neighbour

Thanks for the response. That sound perfect.

As a final thought before I make the switch, are there any downsides to switching to Koodo from Telus? As I said I rarely use 5G because I live in an area with only 4G coverage so I don't see why I should pay premium for a 5G plan. And now that I own my phone there's no advantage to using their payment plan (I prefer to keep my phones for 3 years anyway). But is there anything I'm not thinking of that I might miss if I switched from Telus to Koodo?

Koodo is owned by TELUS so would be on the same network but there are some differences. So major downsides might have are depending on how much data you use that Koodo is a set amount and then pauses and asks if want to pay for additional data where TELUS has the unlimited plans where your data just slows down without any overage charges.

The other big difference is Koodo is designed to be a self serve brand where TELUS is more full service so whereas you call TELUS you are able to talk to someone with Koodo it sends you to a chat bot to go through and then if can’t be solved through it are able to schedule a callback.

One thing might notice though is because you are running on the TELUS network with Koodo that if you do a 3G or 4G plan you might still see 5G on your phone depending on the area you are in as the 3G/4G plans are just an upload/download speed cap.

MycoAstro
Neighbour

Very helpful. Thanks!