cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from Telus loyalty program? Potential spam?

NolanK
Just Moved In

I have been getting calls from the following number: (825) 509-3638 claiming that they are from the Telus Loyalty program. There is no caller id for this number, and they are asking for my account information (address, etc.). Is this number legit?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @NolanK ,

Great job at detecting a possible suspicious call. Due to "phone number spoofing" there is no way to confirm confidently who is on the other line. Although loyalty may reach out to you like this, its best to proceed with caution.

When a real loyalty agent (or any TELUS agent) calls you, we will require your PIN, and or ask additional security question such as your address depending on the account change, or what information the customer is requesting.

Best Solution

Call TELUS at *611 from your TELUS cellphone or home phone. Once you speak to an agent, let them know you missed a call from Loyalty. Provide the agent with your PIN and or answer some security questions. Then request the agent to look at the notes/memos on your account to see if there was any outbound calls made today. If the answer is no, we know the call you received was not genuine. If there is a note, then ask the agent try and contact that agent (using our internal agent-to-agent chat, or via email). If no response, then ask to be transferred you to the loyalty department for more context for the reason of the call.

Alternative Solution (without calling *611 - proceed with caution still) 

Alternatively...if you do pickup the call from someone claiming to be TELUS, you can ask for them to send you a text message to your phone number stating their first name or something else. On your phone, you will receive a text message from a phone number 5 numbers long (often times its "83585"). These short numbers are much harder to spoof, and therefor gives you more confidences as to who you are speaking with. I personally suggest the first solution.

I hope that helps! Keep up the great work with using caution when receiving calls 🙂

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @NolanK ,

Great job at detecting a possible suspicious call. Due to "phone number spoofing" there is no way to confirm confidently who is on the other line. Although loyalty may reach out to you like this, its best to proceed with caution.

When a real loyalty agent (or any TELUS agent) calls you, we will require your PIN, and or ask additional security question such as your address depending on the account change, or what information the customer is requesting.

Best Solution

Call TELUS at *611 from your TELUS cellphone or home phone. Once you speak to an agent, let them know you missed a call from Loyalty. Provide the agent with your PIN and or answer some security questions. Then request the agent to look at the notes/memos on your account to see if there was any outbound calls made today. If the answer is no, we know the call you received was not genuine. If there is a note, then ask the agent try and contact that agent (using our internal agent-to-agent chat, or via email). If no response, then ask to be transferred you to the loyalty department for more context for the reason of the call.

Alternative Solution (without calling *611 - proceed with caution still) 

Alternatively...if you do pickup the call from someone claiming to be TELUS, you can ask for them to send you a text message to your phone number stating their first name or something else. On your phone, you will receive a text message from a phone number 5 numbers long (often times its "83585"). These short numbers are much harder to spoof, and therefor gives you more confidences as to who you are speaking with. I personally suggest the first solution.

I hope that helps! Keep up the great work with using caution when receiving calls 🙂

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

Thanks for the info and advice. I called Telus myself and asked if anyone had contacted me from Loyalty. Turns out no one did, so indeed that number was from someone trying to phish me. Glad I didn't give them any info when they asked.

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @NolanK ,

Always happy to help! I am so glad you did not provide any information either. Its unfortunate there are people out in this world phishing for information and risk your security. Great job once again with following your instincts. I have reported this to our security team to investigate further. 

xray
Hero
Ask them for the last 4 digits of your account number and your postal code. If they can't give that to you then tell them not to call you again. Never give any information, no matter how small, to anyone who calls you. Only give out info if you initiate the call.

snguyen51
Friendly Neighbour

I also just got a call from the (825) 509-3638 claiming they he was a Telus employee with promotion. He had no accent and was fake nice. He wanted to confirm my last name and address. I provided my last name because he knew my first name for some reason. I provided my house number without the street name. He insisted to ask for the street name. I explained to him that there were a lot of scams out there so I would not give out my complete address. He told me that I could look up the caller ID and verified it. I advised him that nowadays everyone could change their caller ID. Then I said goodbye and hung up.

If you receive a call from Telus and told you that you needed to provide the address and personal information before offering a promotion, then you should hang up. Besides, block the number so they cannot call you anymore.

buckycat
Leader

They are still at it. I’ve had calls from the same number twice in the past two days. Funny thing I don’t even have a Telus mobile account.