cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help I think I've been Hacked!

BCF
Neighbour
So since I've recently moved the information on my Telus apps I noticed began to change. For example, my guest wifi network disappeared one day in my app...I just blamed that on "The Gremlins" lol

Then in the same day on both my banking app and Telus app, when logging in, my cell phone wasn't recognized as my trusted device and in fact after checking on my banking app I found my trusted device had been changed a few weeks earlier which I Didn't do.

So I called Telus and they told me I had 3 wifi networks and gave me the names of the 2 I had never heard or before nor did I have the passwords for.

To make a long story short...after having a Technician sent to my home to try to figure out what was going on, I was told that the admin user name and password had been used on my account to make these changes so he replaced my router & Booster and removed the stickers with admin info for me to keep safe.

I obviously have been keeping a close eye on my Telus Apps including Smart Home, My Telus and Telus Connect. Within a days I discovered that my newly installed router's original IP address of 192.168.1.254 had changed to 108.180.79.96 and also that it's up time was off by 2 days from when it was originally installed in Sept 6th. The boosters uptime was also off by 2 days but the IP remained 192.168.1.42

Several days later my router's IP address changed again to 173.181.188.147 and again it's uptime reset even though I have not even accessed my locked storage room which in a separate area of my rental via its exterior door where my router is housed. (The lock in this door, unknown to me, didn't have a key so remained closed but unlocked for the first 2 weeks the router was installed. It now has a new dead bolt)

My passwords for my Telus have changed and when I last logged in my account only showed my name and my previous address where I moved from 2 months ago and showed NO connected services. Although today I seem to be able to login to the right account.

There have also been issues with my smart security issues and for some odd reason one of my wireless set top boxes is using 88% of my networks total data usage even though I only watch maybe 1hr a day on Netflix and unplug it from the wall when I wake up and only plug it back in when I got to bed late at night????

Security is very important to me! I have no answers only questions so any insight would be greatly appreciated as to what might be going on or if there's any way to actually get proof to confirm or deny my suspicions!

Thanking anyone in advance for any help 🙏

4 REPLIES 4

xray
Hero

192.168.1.254 is your router's LAN (Internal) IP address.

108.180.79.96 is your router's WAN (External) IP address and that looks normal. Do not confuse this with the internal LAN IP address in the 192.168.1.xxx range.

173.181.188.147 is a TELUS mobility IP and I doubt your router got that IP address. Where were you looking to see that IP address? Perhaps it was your mobile device's IP address while you were not on WiFi?

@BCF wrote:
I have not even accessed my locked storage room which in a separate area of my rental via its exterior door where my router is housed. (The lock in this door, unknown to me, didn't have a key so remained closed but unlocked for the first 2 weeks the router was installed. It now has a new dead bolt)

If your router was not in a secure area and accessible to the public then anything could have happened.

These are the 3 IP address listed under network details in my Telus Connect App since having the new router installed Sept 6th (the uptime has also changed along with the new op addresses and No one has had access to my locked storage room since it was replaced on the 6th

I didn't know the storage room was left unlocked when my Telus tech left. I think it was someone living on the property who did this but I obviously can't prove it

WAN ip address could change anytime since TELUS is not giving static ip address for residential use, however having said that, based on my experienced with TELUS the time to change the DHCP WAN ip address seems very long, since it is seldom that I noticed that the WAN ip address of my network at home changes, unless a power failure did happen that the router shutdown for a period of time and when it is online again a different WAN ip address was assigned.

"There have also been issues with my smart security issues and for some odd reason one of my wireless set top boxes is using 88% of my networks total data usage even though I only watch maybe 1hr a day on Netflix and unplug it from the wall when I wake up and only plug it back in when I got to bed late at night????"  -  This is definitely not coming from the outside of your home/network since it is coming from your own IPTV.

By the way what is the brand/model that TELUS gave you?