cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Local Calling Area"

EZ
Friendly Neighbour

Are there maps available for my local calling area so I know beforehand if there will be long distance charges incurred.Every call I make I get the telus message "long distance charges may apply"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Generally the local calling area will correspond to that of  the town nearest to the cell tower that your phone connects to. The local calling area is determined by the landline local calling area for that town.  So it normally would be be the town or surrounding area. In some cases it could be an extended calling area such as metro Vancouver.

The local calling is also known as "rate centre". This Website identifies local calling area for locations in BC

https://localcallingguide.com/lca_listexch.php?region=BC

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

T-Speed
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

You can find more about local calling areas here

If you have an unlimited minutes Canada wide plan, no charges should apply for calls made to any other province in Canada, this is typically a general warning.

Do you get it for any call you place? 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The other thing to consider is that if a person lived in one region and moved to another, but kept their old in province number. It's almost impossible to know which number will be long distance unless you've called that person before.

At work I come across 587 and 825 numbers (Alberta) that are long distance all the time. The person moved to a different region but kept their old cell number. The same applies in any other province.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

EZ
Friendly Neighbour

I live in rural southern BC and usually only use my cell when I am away from home,yes I get the message on every call I make.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Any call you make outside your local prefix area will get that message. As most cellular plans include Canada-wide calling, placing a 1 or +1 before the area code will remove the message.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

EZ
Friendly Neighbour

My cell area code is 250,my home landline is 250 as well and I still get that message.

Are you on a plan that only includes local minutes? Some of the prepaid plans only include local minutes.

EZ
Friendly Neighbour

yes I have a prepaid plan with no long distance included but can do an "addon" when required.That's what I was trying to establish area code is 250,how far in the province of BC with that area code can a person call  without incurring long distance charges.

Generally the local calling area will correspond to that of  the town nearest to the cell tower that your phone connects to. The local calling area is determined by the landline local calling area for that town.  So it normally would be be the town or surrounding area. In some cases it could be an extended calling area such as metro Vancouver.

The local calling is also known as "rate centre". This Website identifies local calling area for locations in BC

https://localcallingguide.com/lca_listexch.php?region=BC

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

To add to @rc comment, cellular local calling areas are usually larger than landline, and often correspond to areas where users are expected to make day trips. The cellular local calling area in my region includes many communities which are long distance on a landline.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

@NFtoBC, my experience with mobility local calling calling was that I getting charged long distance for what should have been local calls.

I would regularly call in to get a credit applied to my account.

I fixed the problem by changing to a plan with Canada wide long distance.