cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam???

Pintoguy
Advisor

I have recently bought a new cell phone and I have set up a new account with Telus. I have already received a couple of bogus text messages that I new were scams. However, lately I've been receiving a new voice mail from Saskatchewan asking me for a password in order to 'set-up' my voice mail  account. This seems very suspicious to me. Would Telus be asking for my password over the phone? Is this a scam???

• scam
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

polecat
All-Star

@Pintoguy   Scam report it to telus 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

polecat
All-Star

@Pintoguy   Scam report it to telus 

Thanks for the reply. It is most sincerely appreciated.  I've reported the suspicious voice message to Telus and I've blocked the number. I had already deleted the incoming number from my call log so I was unable to give it to Telus.  In the future, I'll be sure to record bogus numbers before deleting them. Again, many thanks for your help with this issue...

Pintoguy
Advisor

UPDATE: The scammer called again and the phone number is 780-812-1297.  I did a 'Canada 411Reverse Phone Number Search' and it looks like it's from Telus but I suspect that the number has been 'spoofed'...

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The numbers are pretty much always spoofed. If you're using a Telus cell, try turning on Call Control. It's free and will block the automated scam calls.

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/call-control-for-mobile-devices-explained

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks for that advice. It is most appreciated. I have 'Telus Call Control' for my landline so it was just as easy to switch it on for my new cell phone. The scammers seem to be getting more and more active. I get as many scam calls and texts now as I do legitimate ones... 😞

I have had my new cell phone now for only about three weeks.  I can't believe how persistent these scammers now are.   I have received three different scam voicemails from three different numbers from three different provinces with each number being 'spoofed' as being from Telus. But what good does it do reporting the scam to Telus? What can Telus do about stopping these calls???

Pintoguy
Advisor

I now have Telus Call Control on my new cell phone and I very highly recommend it. I have been getting scam calls blocked from area codes from Florida and as far away as Nicaragua! The last number was 12-768-005-5890! I really don't know how they are getting my number. Has anyone else here been experiencing this level of scamming? Is this now normal???

@Pintoguy  SCAM SCAM SCAM-------  It does not mater what you due. They will spoof your number till the day you die. It's all computer generated. Delete it and move on in your life. Sometimes  2 to 4 phone calls a day then none for 20 days. DELETE ======= DELEETE ===== DELETE===== AND FORGET ABOUT IT     YOU WILL NEVER WIN A BOT. 

@polecat 

I had given up using a cell phone several years ago and with this new phone which I have just started using I only now realize how prevalent spamming has become. 80% of my incoming calls, voice mails and texts are spam! Now I understand, from what you guys have told me, that this is normal. And that's what I was wanting to know...