cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email to text/sms sender name

scottwiebe
Just Moved In

Email to text/sms messages used to always come in where the originating phone number was actually the sender email address in the message thread. Each email address would be a separate message thread. The last message we received this way was July 27, 2021.

Since then, all email to text/sms messages have all come from a (999)9999999 number with the sender email address in the message body. It doesn't matter which email address the message comes from, they all end up in the same thread now.

I for one absolutely hate this and am wondering why Telus changed something that worked so well. Is there a fix for this or can we get Telus to change it back?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are a number of different means to send SMS from other than a cellphone. For instance, those sent through Koodo’s system arrive as MMS, while those through Telus’ arrive as SMS. There are (or were) text gateways which allowed one to enter a text to a user through a web page as well. Additionally, texts sent through VoIP suppliers (Fongo, etc.) may use other formats.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

My recollection is these messages came to me from (999]999-9999 for many years now. Possibly it depends on which interface the sender uses? I know Telus and Koodo each have different implementations of email to SMS, and can be used interchangeably by subscribers to either service.

NFtoBC

Hey, thanks for the reply!

What do you mean by interface when you say "it depends on the interface that the sender uses"?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are a number of different means to send SMS from other than a cellphone. For instance, those sent through Koodo’s system arrive as MMS, while those through Telus’ arrive as SMS. There are (or were) text gateways which allowed one to enter a text to a user through a web page as well. Additionally, texts sent through VoIP suppliers (Fongo, etc.) may use other formats.

NFtoBC