cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam call about a new cellphone plan

rachelvu
Just Moved In

Got a call today from 778-229-9648 and the person said he is from Telus. He offered me a deal to switch my plan with Telus for $30 cheaper, with unlimited data usage and I don't need to pay any extra transfer cost. Then he transferred my call to another person who asked me for my name, DOB, address, and ID number. I stupidly gave them all this info along with my driver's license and BCID. They also asked who was my service provider before Rogers. I got suspicious when they asked me for my card number and I asked them to send me an email for me to fill it out instead. I then got an email from [email protected] with a link to a suspicious form to fill out my card number. The email and the form look odd because there is no official logo so I just hung up the call. After a few minutes, I got tons of calls ffrom random numbers (I assume that they're calling me back) and they also sent me another email to finish my registration from [email protected]. I'm now worried because even though I didn't give out any card info, I gave them my ID number over the phone along with name, DOB and address. What can I do in this case? I appreciate the help. Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3

rachelvu
Just Moved In

sorry Please ignore the part about an email from [email protected] - I realized that this email is from Telus Forum asking me to verify my email (which is legit). 

xray
Hero

telusmobilityplans.com is not TELUS and the call is a scam. You need to take steps to protect yourself from identity theft.

You can check domains at: https://lookup.icann.org/en/lookup

xray_0-1695746556568.png

A valid TELUS domain should look like this:

xray_1-1695746685430.png

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

@rachelvu please report that call to the Canada Anti-fraud centre. Further to what @xray has said, please take steps to ensure your information is safeguarded

If you're an active TELUS customer, I would also recommend connecting with our customer care team to let them  know what happened.