cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi6 slow speeds on Xbox One S

YLWGuy
Friendly Neighbour

My Xbox One S Wifi download/upload speeds seem to be limited to ~20MB/s. These results are based on the Xbox test measurements.

I have a 1 GB plan and recently had Wifi6 installed with the following equipment (according to Telus My Connect):

Modem (Network Access Hub) - Technicolor NH20T
Boost Wi-Fi6 (Main) - Arcadyan Boost 2.1
Boost Wi-Fi6 - Arcadyan Boost 2.1
Boost Wi-Fi6 - Arcadyan Boost 2.1

Yes, that's right, I have 3 white cylinders installed in my home.

All of my devices are capable of getting Wifi speeds >100 MB/s except for the Xbox One S. As part of my tests I placed the Xbox One S adjacent (1 ft) to a Boost Wi-Fi6 cylinder. There was only a moderate inrease in WiFi speeds to ~24Mb/s. I then connected the Xbox One S with an Ethernet Cat5e cable and was able to get speeds >500 Mb/s.

I could not find any Qos settings to change on the NH20T or Arcadyan units. Why is my Xbox One S limited to these low Wifi speeds?  Are there restrictions on game consoles or streaming devices?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

YLWGuy
Friendly Neighbour

I called Telus and they sent out a tech that installed a Boost 6E Mini.  My Xbox is now hardwired to the 6E Mini and I am getting speeds of ~400 Mb/s.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't believe there are any restrictions related to speeds for devices on your network. It's possible the XBox is connected to a distant access point rather than the closest one. You may wish to temporarily turn off all but the closet access point and then perform your tests to see if that makes any difference.

I've had similar issues with my Apple devices that remain connected to a distant access point when there is a faster connection closer. Simply toggling wifi off/on on the device usually rectifies the issue for me.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

YLWGuy
Friendly Neighbour

As suggested, I unplugged 2 or the 3 cylinders so that the closest cylinder was the only WiFi booster online.  Same results, still ~20Mb/s.  The best results so far have been when the Xbox was within 12 inches of the WiFi booster.

YLWGuy
Friendly Neighbour

I called Telus and they sent out a tech that installed a Boost 6E Mini.  My Xbox is now hardwired to the 6E Mini and I am getting speeds of ~400 Mb/s.

tedfroop
Helpful Neighbour

Same issues.  I am about 15 feet from the hub - direct LOS.  

Since there is little you can do with the telus equipment I added an Asus router and configured it as an access point.   Still nowhere near as fast as it should be, but much faster than the telus device.

Part of the problem is the hyper aggressive approach telus uses for QOS and that they simply divide available bandwidth between the devices connected to the network and then half the connection speed to "avoid congestion".

So my new i9 ROG laptop - connected at 2.5 gbps wired or at 1204 mbps wireless talks to alll the other devices on my network at about 40 mbps,  despite the 2.5 gbps backbone on my network.