cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI 6 is not supported 2.4G ??

kyesoo1
Just Moved In

Telus technician changed T3200M to wifi6(https://preview.redd.it/sif2q96yoqk71.jpg) using PureFibre Network.

Then I cannot connect my smart plug or switch used 2.4G network.

Telus teller said the wifi6 modem does not support 2.4G

I could add 2.4G in my old T3200M  after connection https://192.168.1.254/login.htm.

But, WIFI 6 is not supported 2.4G ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The T3200M does not have Wifi 6 at all. The device in the photo is not a T3200M but does look a lot like the Wifi 6 boost unit. If it is, that unit can be set up through the Telus Wi-Fi app or by logging in through a browser. You'll have to look on your T3200M admin page to see what the IP for that unit is and then log in to it using the username and password printed on the sticker on that unit. On the T3200M admin page it'll appear as "Boost2.0-####" in the home network list.

boost1.jpg

Once you're in you'll be able to edit the wifi settings including for 2.4GHz. 2.4GHz is not 802.11ax (Wifi 6) though. The higher frequency of 5GHz is where you'll find Wifi 6.

boost2.jpg

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The T3200M does not have Wifi 6 at all. The device in the photo is not a T3200M but does look a lot like the Wifi 6 boost unit. If it is, that unit can be set up through the Telus Wi-Fi app or by logging in through a browser. You'll have to look on your T3200M admin page to see what the IP for that unit is and then log in to it using the username and password printed on the sticker on that unit. On the T3200M admin page it'll appear as "Boost2.0-####" in the home network list.

boost1.jpg

Once you're in you'll be able to edit the wifi settings including for 2.4GHz. 2.4GHz is not 802.11ax (Wifi 6) though. The higher frequency of 5GHz is where you'll find Wifi 6.

boost2.jpg

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

So the new Telus WiFi Booster device is capable of both WiFi 4/5 (2.4GHz,5GHz) and the new WiFi 6 (high 5GHz)? So it seems from your attached picture. That's cool.

PS: What is that wifi 6 booster/extender device model/make? Why can't I see that as a addon Telus booster package. I only see this lame garbage: https://www.telus.com/en/internet/boostwifi?INTCMP=Tcom_VirtualAssistant&linktype=virtual_assistant

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You may just want to call Telus instead. May be easier.

@Nighthawk wrote:

You may just want to call Telus instead. May be easier.

Yeah, I figured it out. They're only offering that "new" wifi 6 booster, mentioned/shown here, to new customer, or as new installation packages. They're not offering it yet as an add-on/upgrade to existing customer/packages. One good thing about Telus is, they're pretty good at appeasing long term/loyal customers. I've always been able to sneeze a little more out of them. Yet, they seem to always be moving the goal post for new customers, so one has to always be on the lookout for new changes and offerings. 

"The higher frequency of 5GHz is where you'll find WiFi 6."

FYI: The new TP-Link AX1100, and I'm sure a few others, are WiFi 6 on 2.4GHz also:

StandardsWiFi Speeds

Wi-Fi 6
IEEE 802.11ax/ac/n/a 5 GHz
IEEE 802.11ax/n/b/g 2.4 GHz
AX11000
5 GHz: 4804 Mbps (802.11ax, HE160)
5 GHz: 4804 Mbps (802.11ax, HE160)
2.4 GHz: 1148 Mbps (802.11ax)