cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus rural internet 5G admin acccess

Ziggy_99
Neighbour

I have the Telus 5G rural internet, but I believe I still have poor signal quality/strength just like my old smarthub 500 plan, which is still place for the time being until Telus phases it out. 

Our old ZTE MF279T smarthub gets up to 150 mbps down while the new 5G ZTE MC70101CA gets 50 mbps download.  DO NOT LET THOSE SPEEDS FOOL YOU.  We never stream because even though we have good speed, there is never consistent streaming quality.  Different streaming apps constantly change resolution to the point of the content being un watchable.  So for the last 7 - 8 years we have been pre downloading content onto our tablets and the plugging them into our TV with an usb c hub with hdmi output.  Needless to say, the video is good, but the audio is now in stereo.  So I am getting quite sick of this, especially when I can almost throw a rock and hit the South Calgary Hospital from my location.

Our old smarthub as per the admin diagnostics says we get between -78 to -102 dbm even with an external 11 dbi yagi antenna, but more so the latter.  So my signal strength is horrible even with an external Yagi antenna.  I am assuming my new 5G set up gets the same figures, but I cannot access the admin login password, because Telus did not send my install kit with the owners manual with the password stick on it.

Any suggestions on what I can do for my signal quality/strength.  Does anyone know how I can get login access to my new external modem?  Does the new external ZTE MC7010CA modem need line of sight to the tower, or does it work like a MIMO antenna?  Is there a chance both of my internet connections may be confused on which tower to connect to.  There is a closer tower straight 2.7 km east of me, but there are acreage homes and a big hill in the way.  The SW tower has line of sight, but is 4 km away.  I have been advised by an installer to go with a Surepower booster with up to 30’ mast, but I have been seeing conflicting reviews of these boosters all over the internet.  I was even told be a supplier that they only recommend using them for in house smartphone signal boosting.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Ziggy_99
Neighbour

So this is hard to believe, but are there really no other rural customers that can tell the me the default password to the MC7010CA external modem.  Surely someone out there frequents the forums for troublshooting and has had this problem, unless they all elected to have someone else install this stuff.  So disappointed in this service.  Telus just seems like they could care les.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello. Just following up on this, so very sorry for the late reply. Were you able to get an answer to this, or speak with our Mobility team for assistance?

No not really.

I had a techician call me and tell me that on his end everything looked good, with regards to my signal strength and quality. However, I would like to be able to verify this myself. I was not given a a password nor a username for the external modem. The only thing I can access is the Wifi hub in the house via the Telus Connect app, which tells me absolutely nothing. I cannot change any settings at all with regards to my network like I can when I log into my ZTE MF279 modem on our Telus Smart Hub 500 plan.

Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

We'd need access to the account for that. Give our Mobility team a call at 1-866-558-2273 and they can look into it for you.