cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Series recording list slowly disappearing

Scorpion
Connector

For the past several months some of my scheduled series recordings (series timers) have been disappearing. At one time I had close to 100 series recordings and it has slowly gone down to 10. Currently the box in my bedroom says I have 14 and the PVR in my living room says I have 10. Last night it was 24 and 14. I've reset the router and the boxes several times but it doesn't help. Don't they keep your scheduled series recordings list (not the actual recordings) at the Telus end? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback. We heard you loud and clear and took your feedback to our product development team for guidance.

The good news is that our teams are aware of the issue and a fix is on the way. We are targeting a March 15th rollout for the patch that will correct this issue.

As a workaround until that time, if you keep only 1 recording of any particular series, that will preserve the series record settings. If there are any updates along the way, we will be sure to share it with you here first.

Thanks for your patience. We do value your feedback so please don’t hesitate to keep us on our toes!

dru

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39

66Pony
Just Moved In

Exactly what’s happening to me. I’ve spent two days with Telus and they’ve had me perform hard boots on my modem, PVR and STB’s, today they reinstalled the firmware for the PVR. I had at one point 104 series recorded, this went down to 60+ and finally to 36. I asked the family if anyone cleaned up their series but no one had. I started searching on separate forums; others are having the same problem. The cause appears to be that series scheduled as “First Run Only” disappear after a PVR or modem reboot. I decided to test this with shows from the 70’s and 80’s and after rebooting I immediately lost one of those I added. After Telus asked me to do the hard boots on the hardware I notice I lost 3 more series. I mentioned this to the Telus Rep and she said that hopefully the firmware push would remove the need for future reboots. We all know that’s virtually impossible. Telus will call me back in a couple days and I’ve added more test series to track, if these disappear I will need to escalate (for all the good that will do). 

I have to believe that others are also frustrated by this; it’s time for Telus to admit this issue and provide either a software or hardware fix.

I agree they do not have handle on this! This is not acceptable

Just noticed The Walking Dead did not record.  It has magically disappeared from my series recording list. Phoned Telus - said they never heard of this problem.  I told them many people have reported it on their forum.  Guy said the forum is unofficial - convinced him that it is a Telus forum (forum.telus.com).  The rest of the conversation was him explaining reasons why shows don't record and telling me about updates coming and generally sluffing me off.  In the end he said he entered everything and an update will be posted in the forum - yeah right.  I also asked him if it recorded for him at his house.  He doesn't have Optic TV.

Wow, says a lot that he doesn't have Optic TV doesn't it? I have been keeping a list of my series recordings in Excel and I check the number of my series recordings at least weekly so I can catch when a series drops off my list. It does seem that series won't disappear as long as there is a recording scheduled or if there is an episode saved, but that can take up a lot of pvr space when you're recording (or rather TRYING to record) 60+ different series. It's ridiculous that we pay good money for this service and can't even trust it to record properly. I even lost a couple of series over the winter hiatus because I failed to save an episode. Shaw is starting to look better all the time!

I spoke to customer care and was told a software fix is being developed but
no timeline. I too was not satisfied with their response so I messaged
Scotty inside the neighborhood and he called me basically with the same
info. So now we wait for fix! I'm tied into TELUS for another year so I am
stuck. I have not had a problem in past few days with series
recording...had to set up two shows again in series recording and both
recorded..so far I keep having to constantly check to see if show records
and if not I go in and search for show to be repeated...I have new Vikings
set three times to record on Thursday so I don't miss it. Scotty did tell
me He will give me a small discount from my bill. Scotty is the TELUS
Neighborhood Manager so perhaps ....? I am so frustrated I have been having
other issues as well and told him..he will be keeping track of various
issues...don't bother calling techs as I think they are not given up to
date issues to answer our questions. Sorry I couldn't give you something
but yes ...wait and be frustrated.

Refer my comment to Mike who messaged me

Scorpion
Connector

For anyone else experiencing this issue.....here are some posts from me on different forums a couple of weeks ago explaining my experience:

"I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with a tech who did everything possible including wiping the hard drive. After he got off the phone I started messing around and checking things on my own. This is what I discovered.....If I have any series recordings that are set to record as "first run only" but those programs don't have any new episodes in the guide for the upcoming weeks (there can be reruns), then if I restart my router and boxes, it will then erase those certain recordings from the list. Now I know the conditions when it happens but just don't know why. I doubt if it's a hardware issue since everything else is working fine. I doubt it's a software issue on my end because the drive was wiped clean and reinstalled. It makes more sense that it's on Telus's end. I read somewhere before that our series recording list is kept at Telus. (Does anyone know if this is correct?) When I restart my PVR it should get that info from Telus but if there is a software glitch then that's why it erases those programs in my series recording list. It wouldn't be such a big deal but I usually restart everything once a month to prevent the boxes from being sluggish."

"What a nightmare! After numerous phone calls, speaking to numerous people, being on the phone for hours at a time and a visit from a technician to my home all lasting 2 weeks, they finally omitted to me that it is a software issue on their end.....no kidding, I kinda figure that out for myself! In fact I was telling them that from day one but they insisted that it wasn't. I don't care what Telus's current commercials are saying, I cannot believe that 95% of their customers are satisfied with them. I had some people from Telus that were downright rude and argumentative at times. At least in the end it wasn't a complete loss. They ended up giving me a brand new PVR, a brand new modem and 8 credits for VOD movies."

"I am very familiar with this issue as having gone through it. Just restart your PVR and once it is back up, go and delete it immediately. After a few minutes it will go back to not allowing you to delete it. It is a software issue on Telus's end and almost no one working there knows anything about it. The problem is, if you have any shows that are set as "first run only" and there are no first run shows in the guide for the next 2 weeks it will cause a glitch. You will find that you can't delete those certain series recordings from your list and you won't be able to save any changes in the Series Priority list also. The only way around this problem is to restart your PVR every single time and make the changes immediately. You may also notice that if you do have any series recordings in your list that fit this situation, they will disappear on their own when you reboot your PVR. Telus told me that it maybe fixed in the next update but it won't be any time soon."

So the bottom line is that it's a software glitch on their end.....and they don't care!

daisy519
Neighbour

daisy519
Neighbour

I'm having the same problem...the summer series are still listed in the series to be recorded, but the fall ones have disappeared, i.e. Grays Anatomy etc that aren't playing right now. I don't want to erase the recordings I have. Does that mean I have to re enter the series' in the fall? Annoying! Why can't they put the list back?

Scorpion
Connector

Yes, very annoying isn't it. I'm guessing more and more people will begin to notice once the new TV season starts up and they realize almost all of their series to be recorded have disappeared. Unfortunately, at the moment, there is nothing that we can do about it. It is a software issue on Telus's end and as I was lead to believe, it is not a priority for them to fix. I was actually told by one of their technicians just to "live with it". Hardly anyone at their help desk knows about it. If you call regarding the issue, they'll probably wipe your PVR clean, like they did with mine, to discover that the problem is still there. So, yes, you'll have to re-enter all of your shows in the fall. They can't put the series recordings list back because it gets erased on their end. I don't know why they store that information there and not on our own PVR's. Very, very frustrating.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Could it be the series ends with the season finale?  Seems that with all the changes which occur over the summer with line-ups, etc., and potentially a new time slot, and so on, that series recordings do not propagate across TV seasons?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

daisy519
Neighbour

It's never happened before.

Scorpion
Connector

Trust me, it is an annoying software glitch on their end. Read my comments above and try to replicate the conditions and you'll see what we're talking about. I've had Optik TV for 6 years and this had never happened before until recently. 

I totally agree!!! All the program mix ups, series recordings disappearing......all started happening after the last software update! Everything was working before

WhiteGhost1980
Just Moved In

Is this happening on the 430 or 7150 optik box couse I believe they have different software and hardware. I am using the 430 and have not seen this.

xray
Guardian

I'm on a 430 and I've seen this. Lost my Dr.  Who and CSI series set on new only. 

Scorpion
Connector

It started on my 430. Eventually they swapped it out with the 7150 and the same problem continued. It has absolutely nothing to do with the boxes. It is a software glitch on Telus's end. All settings for your series recordings, series priority etc. are stored at Telus and not on our PVR's. Whenever you make a change to any of those settings, they get changed at Telus. When you restart your PVR, all of those settings get pulled from Telus and uploaded to your PVR. Sometimes you'll notice some of your series recordings have disappeared after a restart. Usually they are programs that are "first run only" and are no longer in the guide.

As an example :

Tonight one of my series ended it's season so there are no more scheduled. Since it is set as "first run only", it caused the glitch and the errors started up. I had to restart my PVR, once back up quickly cancel that series, then restarted my PVR again. Once I did all that the glitch was gone and everything was back to normal with no errors.

It is turning out that you have to be your own program administer having to constantly re-record, check to make sure your recordings are accurate. My TV bill is too expensive to have to put up with this. It would be nice if TELUS (tell us!!!) Would at least send a message letting us know if they are fixing this!!!

Scorpion
Connector

Another thing I noticed with this glitch. When the glitch is active, not only does it affect the things I mentioned above, but it also causes issues with the VOD freezing, prematurely ending or not allowing access to the VOD store.

thedirtyground
Neighbour

Yup, this has also happened to me as well.  I have about 10 series that have vanished and can't add them back because they show up in Search as On-demand versions only.   Kind of aggravating.