cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a SCAM???

Kupa
Just Moved In

I'm very confused right now. Today, I received a call from 833-390-3721, claiming to be a representative from Telus. Because I had only switched to Telus a month ago, I thought they were calling to ask for feedback on my internet service. I wasn't sure if they were scammers, but they provided detailed information about my internet plan and account balance. Then they asked for my SIN number, and without much thought, I gave it to them. Later, I received another call from 844-962-1419, which was also from the previous representative. She mentioned that she hadn't asked for my date of birth yet. After telling her, I realized immediately after the call that I might have been scammed. I promptly informed my bank, TransUnion, and the Canada Anti-Fraud Centre. In less than an hour, I received an email from Telus with the following email addresses: [email protected] and [email protected]. I also received a text message from 777222 saying that I had successfully selected an Optik TV plan. This text message left me very confused because the same number was used when Telus installed my internet previously. I checked my Telus app and indeed, I had activated this Optik TV plan. So now I'm very confused whether this is a scam or a legitimate promotion from Telus. Do they usually ask customers for their SIN numbers?

Thank you.

25 REPLIES 25

papabear
Just Moved In

I just got a call from them asking my telus account number 
and they sent me an email for "verification" [email protected]

please report them something has to be done to stop this criminals

papabear
Just Moved In

They just called me asking for my telus account number, pretty crazy they even send me an email to "verify" it was legit [email protected]

please report them someone has to stop this criminals

Just_LH
Ambassador

Blocked it but they keep calling.

Screenshot_20240402-144556_Phone.png

Hubbmeister
Organizer

I just received a text from 777222 saying that they want to upgrade my modem. The link in the text that is supposed to take me to a "why?" page doesn't -- big surprise -- so I replied to the text with the suggested SUPPORT option. They then replied that today wasn't available and asked for a new day.

They contacted ME and now want to force me to accommodate THEM to get an answer about the legitimacy of their screwed-up text. That ain't happening. The modem is working fine for me and if they wat to replace it, they can do the jumping through hoops to get it done. I am so fed up with this company.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Texts from the 777222 number are legitimate. as for the modem upgrade, it's either to improve/update the service to make sure everything is working as well as possible, or if the customer is in an area where copper service is being turned down (thus the new equipment for the new fibre service). Customers in an area where the latter is occurring however are notified well in advance.