cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrectly sent to Collections

ksankar1
Just Moved In
Hello,

I moved homes in October 2023 and switched from Telus because they did not offer fibre in my new building. I called Telus Loyalty and they told me they would not charge me a cancellation fee because they could not offer the same service in my new location.

Fast forward to the end of the month, and I get a bill stating that I owe a $400+ cancellation fee. I called Telus in December and, after being bounced around departments for hours, they admitted their mistake and told me they would remove the cancellation charge.

In January 2024, I noticed that they still did not remove the charge and contacted them again. After waiting 4+ hours on the phone, they again admitted their mistake and promised to remove the charge. The charge was subsequently removed from my account.

Today I get an email from a collections agency stating that Telus has sent the account into collections and I owe $40 in late charges. Apparently, Telus applied late fees to the incorrect cancellation charge and, because they forgot to remove the late fees when they removed the cancellation charges, they sent me to collections.

How do I deal with this and avoid it affecting my credit score? It’s so frustrating having to wait hours and hours on the phone to attempt to reach someone that can help.
1 REPLY 1

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello. I'll send you a private message to discuss further, thanks.