cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LessScamming
Just Moved In

Here's a suggestion for reducing scam calls. If I was able to restrict my incoming calls to a list of 1-10 Canadian area codes provided by me this would eliminate virtually all my unwanted calls. If this was feasible, the idea could be extended to allow me to add perhaps 1-10 additional phone numbers that would be accepted (eg. Uncle Charlie in Washington, DC).

Scamming is causing serious damage particularly to senior citizens and our police services are having great difficulty in tracking down the scammers. Hopefully the industry can provide customers with some options that may help reduce or eliminate this problem.

3 Comments
xray
Hero

Most scam calls spoof the area code of your phone number or a nearby area code anyway so filtering out other area codes won't make much difference.

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @LessScamming,

Although your great idea of filtering calls from specific area codes would reduce the amount of scam calls, it will not eliminate the most common scams which use local area codes to increase the chances of victims picking up. 

To eliminate spam/scam calls TELUS has introduced a feature called Call Control which works for both TELUS Home Phone, and Cellphones. Click Here to learn more.

Enable Call Control For TELUS Home Phone:

1. Log in to My TELUS (Not the app)
  2. Select the Call Control tab under Home Phone
  3. Follow the instructions on the tab to turn on Call Control

Enable Call Control For TELUS Mobility (Cellphone):

1. Log in to My TELUS (Not the app)
  2. Click Plans & Device
    (Along the top row: Overview, Billing, Usage, Plans & Devices).
  3. Click the phone number you wish to add Call Control.

4. Click Call Control
    (Under the title "Mobility plans and devices" You will see the text: "Plan", "Device", and now "Call Control").

I hope that helps 🙂

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

Status changed to: Closed
psl
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

@LessScamming Thanks for the idea. @BrandonT pretty much nailed it on the head. Some additional context, we've always had Call Control for home phone, but for mobility, Call Control was launched just last week, so you may not have heard of it. As BrandonT mentioned, you can add it through your My TELUS, a quick note, please use the desktop or mobile browser to add it, it currently cannot be added through the My TELUS app. 

With Call Control being already available, your idea will be closed. We look forward to other great ideas from you in the future.