cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raquel1
Just Moved In

Please add TLN back to the list of channels offered by Telus. My husband is Italian, and we both loved the TLN channel and watched it daily. Also, he could watch international soccer on that channel. He is a member of the local Italian community and he is not the only one upset by the removal of this channel option.  I also loved that channel and we have many TV shows recorded on our PVR. Now, I don't want to upgrade our PVR because we will lose all the TLN shows we have recorded and can never get them back. Please bring TLN back asap!!

Also note that it is not easy to leave feedback as you have to sign up here, etc. etc, so you are probably not hearing back from people as much as you would if there was an easier way to send feedback (i.e. don't create an account, etc.). 

I hope to hear back soon and this channel is added again!  It is one of the reasons we went with Telus!! Maybe now have to reconsider.

7 Comments
Raquel1
Just Moved In

Also, we are in BC, just to be clear.

Dogger596
Organizer

Just a thought....  all tv providers have to look at the bottom line and can only add channels that will have enough viewers to justify putting them on. Unfortunately foreign languages other than French will not have alot of viewers.

Raquel1
Just Moved In

How would you know?

Dogger596
Organizer

Well Raquel 1, first of all your comment is a bit rude...

But I will answer your question:

I spent 3 years in tech school where I learned about telecommunications, radio communications, satellite communications, cable and IPTV, as well as networking....  The technology the phone companies use is called IPTV.....  so there you go...

Everything is based on dollars and cents, Providers try to please the most viewers as possible so they will add the most popular services. The number of channels that can be provided on any television system is fixed. If there are not enough viewers to support a specific channel and there are more demands to put on a more popular channel the less popular channel will be removed, especially if the capacity to carry additional channels is limites. Some channels are "must carry" service which meens that the tv provider has to carry them as a condition of their license from the CRTC. These channels will always be there unless the channel stops operating or regulations change. Foreign language channels are considered discretionary. Each tv provider can pick and choose which ones to carry. It is sad but there are many many foreign language services, other than the one you are referring to, that do not make it onto the Canadian system, 

mog
Just Moved In

Good of you to question and feel it reasonable to ask. 
It is always appropriate to question and request, though in the end, they might not be willing to make programs available it is always worth bringing it up.
The part that is frustrating is that some channels or many channels rely on streaming via cable providers and get revenue there and do not have resources or do not get into making these shows available except through the cable providers.
It's always an option to switch providers, but as noted, the PVR contains a bunch of content you don't want to lose.
Though it could be possible to find a method to record it and save for later use in the event your PVR becomes messed up and gets reset or you walk away to one of the providers that do make TLN available.

mog
Just Moved In

ps. I didn't see much rudeness in your comment, but feel the response was a bit less than pleasant to say you are rude rather than just politely sharing the deemed knowledge of some of the reasons TV service providers are regularly dropping good content.

Status changed to: Closed
Amyj