cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Judy_L
Just Moved In

We need add The News Forum to regular channels for Canadian news. Bell is carrying it on all their platforms. It's very irritating to only get left biased news from liberal Global, CBC, CTV etc. You should also add One America News Ntwk (AONN) and Newsmax to the News category on Optik for the same reason. To date, the only news programs anywhere on Optik are left liberal, no conservative centre-right shows of any sort. Customers should have the option to choose which programs they prefer to watch and not be force-fed only one party news. Hopefully TELUS is unbiased and can make this happen, as Bell already has. 

15 Comments
GEM1
Just Moved In

Add Newsmax to the channels TELUS should be offering.

pbsme
Ambassador

There doesn't appear any such TV channel called The News Forum, so it would be difficult for Telus to add a non-existent channel, not to mention that it would need approval from the CRTC.

whitewater
Organizer

I would like to have Newsmax, One America News Network & Real America's Voice added to Telus, so we have alternatives to the left media news also.

pbsme
Ambassador

Neither Real America's Voice or Newsmax are approved for carriage in Canada by the CRTC.  Telus does offer several Canadian news services.  CTV News Network is one of the few North American services rated as giving fair and impartial news by the Media Bias website.  Its focus goes beyond North America, realizing there are more than 100 other countries in the world.

Should Canadians be focusing on or obsessed with American based news sources with either a "right bias" or "left bias"?  It's interesting to check for impartiality at:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com

whitewater
Organizer

One news channel I would like to be added to piktv is BC Global News.

I wonder why left media channels from the US, like CNN, MSNBC & CNN International can be added, but ones on the right from the US can't be added?

vancityli
Just Moved In

Customer request for Newsmax on Optik tv

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

This is a duplicate request. Newsmax isn't available in Canada. It hasn't been approved by the CRTC and I seriously doubt there is remotely enough demand in Canada to even make it financially worth considering.

FredFunk
Just Moved In

"Left-leaning" is a propaganda expression used by the right to describe any source which has ever had anything critical to say about a conservative right-wing idea.
I demand that FOX news be removed from any packages, particularly news packages as they have successfully argued in court that they can not be sued for misrepresentation since no logical individual would ever take what they had to say seriously.
It seems that the forums here are being flooded with conservative bots in an effort to persuade the Telus powers that be that there is a demand in Canada for the stupidity of Newsmax et. al. by reasonable people. 
No, only fools want to be fed their cultish tripe.

vincentwansink
Friendly Neighbour

There would be enough demand if enough people knew about it.  And why would the CRTC not approve it?  

vincentwansink
Friendly Neighbour

You think newsmax is "stupidity" but what's your opinion on the actual stupidity that every Canadian has access to in CNN, MSNBC, Global and CTV?  They're all so left leaning it's pathetic.  We need more balance.  If those left wing news outlets are "approved" then right leaning outlets should also be approved.  I would not deny lefties their choice of news channels, but us righties would like to have some options too.  It would only be fair.

vincentwansink
Friendly Neighbour

If neither Newsmax nor OAN are approved by the CRTC then Telus should request approval.  That's the point of this thread, to prompt Telus to make this happen.  If this is not the right avenue to make the request to Telus, then what is the right avenue?

vincentwansink
Friendly Neighbour

Nighthawk, if the CRTC has not approved Newsmax or OAN then Telus should make the request to have them approved.  That is the point of this thread, to prompt Telus to add those channels to their lineup.  Unless the CRTC explicitly denies Telus the right to broadcast those networks, this is not a CRTC issue.  This is a Telus issue.

Status changed to: Under Review
dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

pbsfan
Organizer

Here are some quotes from the media bias fact check website (https://mediabiasfactcheck.com)

Newsmax: “Right Biased and Questionable based on the promotion of conspiracy theories and pseudoscience as well as numerous failed fact checks”.

America One Network

"moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy."

CTV:  "Overall, we rate CTV News Least Biased based on balanced story selection and minimal use of emotional language. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record."

In my opinion, we don't need more American News sources in Canada.  In general, I've found they tend to pay little attention to the rest of the world, focussing especially on American politics.  If someone wishes to view these other American news channels, they can quite easily view them on most media streamers and smart TVs, as well as online.

vincentwansink
Friendly Neighbour

Please, don't try to convince me what I should watch or not watch.  See, this is exactly why I want more right leaning news options because the left always tries to tell me what's true and what's not true and they try to tell me what I should watch and not watch, what I should say and not to say, believe and not believe.  Just stop.  Give people freedom to choose for themselves.