cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB7 vs BB10

CritterHunter
Organizer

We are considering to make the jump from BB7 phone to the BB10 devices but we are wondering what to expect in terms of usability.    How is the learning curve going to be like,  what are the differences with email management, BB took out her BIS service so I heard,  how is the new UI,  applications, etc.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AskBedo
Organizer

Hello FutureFriendly,

All great questions in order to prepare you for the big move from older BlackBerry devices to the completely redesigned BlackBerry 10!

As xl has mentioned, you definitely need to be prepared to spend some time learning the phone once you get it. Since the learning curve may vary from one user to another, it may be hard to predict but for simplicity's sake let's say it may take up to 2 weeks to learn the phone inside out.

The email management is going to be quite different. Mostly because with BB7 & older devices, the emails were in the "cloud" (BIS as you put it) and pushed to the phone. In BB10, BlackBerry got rid of the cloud and the email management is now similar to iPhone, Android & Windows Phone devices where it is fully setup directly on the phone. The removal of the cloud also puts the browser on par with competitor devices since it completely removes the middle-man which makes a huge difference in terms of speed.

An important note is that you will not be able to keep your http://goo.gl/vn2jNs email address (TELUS can forward those to another email address for you for up to a year so it makes the breakup easier :P).

The new UI is quite intuitive and is gesture based. What that means is that for example if you want to close an application all you have to do is swipe up! You might find these link useful and fun to watch: http://goo.gl/O8JBJ4

As for the applications, the popular apps such as Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype, LinkedIn, etc are all available on the BB10 devices. There might be some older ones that may not be available, however, that is to be expected with such a fresh new OS! Over time, more and more apps will be made available on the BB10 devices.

Hope that answers all your questions and puts things into perspective 😄

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

What phone do you have?  Which phone are you considering?

Going from the 9810 to Q10....

• what NO slider! Why is my screen so small?  I want the Z15!
  • where is my trackpad!  Where's the Home button?  Where's the menu button?  I can't shift + drag to highlight anymore
  • speed dialing now requires two extra taps
  • where's Google Maps!
  • why do I have to cut up my SIM card?
  • why do I they change the battery size?
  • where is my data compression?  Blackberries BIS offers 3 to 6 times data compression.  Expect a higher data burn rate with BB10, especially with LTE speeds.
  • pocket dialing is too easy without the trackpad.
  • wifi scanning and poor reception areas generate heat and accelerates battery drainage.  I turn off wifi away from home and phone when I go to bed to maximize battery life.

the biggest complainers are people who have used Blackberries before.  BB10 is so different compared to earlier versions.  Yes there is some learning and it took me a month to accept the Q10's new features.

AskBedo
Organizer

Hello FutureFriendly,

All great questions in order to prepare you for the big move from older BlackBerry devices to the completely redesigned BlackBerry 10!

As xl has mentioned, you definitely need to be prepared to spend some time learning the phone once you get it. Since the learning curve may vary from one user to another, it may be hard to predict but for simplicity's sake let's say it may take up to 2 weeks to learn the phone inside out.

The email management is going to be quite different. Mostly because with BB7 & older devices, the emails were in the "cloud" (BIS as you put it) and pushed to the phone. In BB10, BlackBerry got rid of the cloud and the email management is now similar to iPhone, Android & Windows Phone devices where it is fully setup directly on the phone. The removal of the cloud also puts the browser on par with competitor devices since it completely removes the middle-man which makes a huge difference in terms of speed.

An important note is that you will not be able to keep your http://goo.gl/vn2jNs email address (TELUS can forward those to another email address for you for up to a year so it makes the breakup easier :P).

The new UI is quite intuitive and is gesture based. What that means is that for example if you want to close an application all you have to do is swipe up! You might find these link useful and fun to watch: http://goo.gl/O8JBJ4

As for the applications, the popular apps such as Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype, LinkedIn, etc are all available on the BB10 devices. There might be some older ones that may not be available, however, that is to be expected with such a fresh new OS! Over time, more and more apps will be made available on the BB10 devices.

Hope that answers all your questions and puts things into perspective 😄