Intermitant Notifications

Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

I tested notifications the other day by telling the system to notify me if any of my sensors activated while I was away from home, and leaving the house with a babysitter present.
During the time I was away, the kitchen image sensor captured 2 images, however only one of them sent a notification.

On another occasion, nobody was home at all, and one of the image sensors sent a notification and captured an image of an empty room.

How can I go about troubleshooting these issues?

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Twice more this week my office sensor has issued a false positive (showing active when the room was empty)

Any way to troubleshoot this further?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you sure it wasn't the cleaner?? Robot Very Happy

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

If I could only afford a cleaner....

I can say categorically that there was nobody in the room at any of these times. All household members are accounted for, I have no pets, the image captured is of an empty room, no other sensor was triggered, no glass is broken, etc.

In one of the instances I was actually in an adjacent room and saw the light come on under the closed door (I have the sensor set to trigger the light in the room), I immediately went in and there was no indication as to what set it off.

It's definitely false positives. I just don't know how to figure out why? (I can't find any sensitivity settings anywhere)

Community Power User
Community Power User

Roger_H wrote:

If I could only afford a cleaner....

In in another life maybe?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Community Power User
Community Power User
@Roger_H what brand sensor are you using? I know there was a few brands that had radio interference issues, and would trigger.

Find this post useful? Hit the Like button.
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

It has Alarm.com part number ADC-IS-220-DSC-B7, the box it came in says "tyco security products"

Community Power User
Community Power User
@Roger_H I'll ask a friend that's an installer see if he has some insight or a fix later in the week.

Find this post useful? Hit the Like button.
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

@WestCoasterBC Any luck with this? I continue to get frequent false positives from this sensor. It's at the point where I'm about to give up on it altogether.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Do you have rules set up to capture during a certain timeframe?

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

@l_navarro

Sensors are set to capture and notify if all geo-devices are outside the geo-fence with no time restrictions

Additionally my office sensor is set to turn on the office light between 7am and 8:30am if it sees motion.

I do not have any rules to capture based on time.

I know I have false positives because I've had the sensors send me images of empty rooms when all household members are accounted for, and because I've watched the light in my office come on when nobody is in there (see it come on under the door from the adjacent room)

So I know for a fact that the sensor is exhibiting false positives. How do I troubleshoot why it's happening?

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

So a few items that we might want to double check:

1. Battery life: can we make sure that the batteries are good
  2. Bugs:  is there a possibility of bugs of critters walking infront of the sensor
  3. Temperature changes:  is it in an area where gusts of hot air or maybe cold air may cross it.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

@l_navarro

1) Battery life: I have no reason to suspect the batteries as they are only a few weeks old now, but I could try new ones

2) Bugs: seems pretty unlikely, I've never seen any indication of any

3) Temperature: It's a small room, and there is a heat vent in it (though that should be a pretty normal situation for these sensors?)

Is there no way to adjust sensitivity on these sensors?

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

To try to troubleshoot this issue further, I changed the batteries and moved the sensor to the other corner of the room last night to see if it would improve the situation.

No false positives all night, however it did get a false positive first thing this morning.