How long do motion sensor triggers last?

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Sometimes motion sensors seem to last only a couple of minutes, other times they last hours on end with nobody in the room. How long are the sensors supposed to show "active" before reverting to "idle"?

Most Helpful
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hello,

Each time a motion sensor detects motion, the status gets changed to "activated".  To avoid excessive active/Idle status updates, the system will wait until the motion sensor has been idle for one hour before it displays the "idle" status.  The time that the sensor went idle will be backdated to 3 min after the last time it was activated.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Thank you. Are you able to clarify how "tamper" events are handled?

I've seen them clear themselves within minutes, or still show after sitting overnight (that one required a sensor reset to solve)

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

If the sensor detects changes in the sensor orientation it will register a tamper.  Tampers will automatically be cleared after the sensor has been returned to its upright position and has not detected any tamper activity for 5 min.  If it is taking longer then a reset can be done to clear the tamper.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

So can we just confirm the expected behaviour in the following scenario?

- set motion sensor to notify me of motion and capture a picture if I leave the geo-fence

- activate sensor by walking past it on the way out the door

- leave geo-fence 5 minutes later

- motion happens in the house half an hour after I left (still within the one hour idle timeout)

Would we expect the system to notify me in that case?

When I tested this exact situation, I found that the sensor captured an image, but did not notify me. looking back at the log showed that the sensor had not yet gone idle when it captured the image. A subsequent motion an hour and a half later both captured an image, and notified me, but had shown the sensor going idle before the motion event.

Desired action: I'm out of the geo-fence, I should be notified if the motion occurs, regardless of how long the sensor has been idle.