cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using existing wired sensors

Fisherguy
Ambassador

We're switching over to Telus for our home alarm, will their installers be able to use my existing wired door magnets and my existing motion sensors?
Does Telus use any wired motion sensors when they install them or are theirs all wireless?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@NFtoBC wrote:

Telus will need to use the sensors designed for their system. All are wireless, Low energy Bluetooth for the motion sensors, smoke detectors and door sensors, Wi-Fi for most of the other devices.

OK, well obviously you're not and installer!!    

Had the alarm installed today, Telus  IS  able to use your wired door sensors when they do the install and I'm guessing they can use the wired motion sensors as well.  We had to get pet friendly motion sensors though so we upgraded to new wireless ones.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Can you post a link to the siren you used?
The one I bought only draws .3 amp and it doesn't work.  I wired it exactly as shown in your link.  Don't know why Telus doesn't offer an external siren and train their installers how to install them.

There are updates available for the panel but Telus has not released them; they are needed if you want to setup a separate partition like I do for my detached shop.
My experience is there's lotsa room for improvement in the alarm system offerings from Telus!

Hi guys, 

I am currently with Rogers Smart home (in BC) and thinking of switching to Telus. The sales person told me ALL my EXISTING H.W is compatible with Telus. Is there anyway I can verify this?

My current setup:

• ALL Windows/Doors have WIRED sensors.
  • 3 WIRED Motions Sensors 
  • 3 WIRED keypads
  • 1 WIRED CO2 sensor
  • 1 WIRED Smart Thermostat
  • 2 Wireless SMART LOCKS (Yale Brand)
  • 1 Wireless CO2 Sensor 
  • 1 Wireless Leak sensor 
  • 2 Wireless outdoor Camera
  • 1 Smart plug and 1 smart LED bulb (dont really care if they work or not)

Is there anyway I can check compatibility?

fwakelin
Friendly Neighbour
The Telus smartphone security page lists compatible gear, but I have a lot of zwave devices that work fine, but are not listed.

Maybe best to just go to the vendors page through - the Qolsys iqpanel 2+ is what was installed at my place, along with the Qolsys hardware 16 takeover module.

@Raul_7 wrote:

Hi guys, 

I am currently with Rogers Smart home (in BC) and thinking of switching to Telus. The sales person told me ALL my EXISTING H.W is compatible with Telus. Is there anyway I can verify this?

My current setup:

• ALL Windows/Doors have WIRED sensors.
  • 3 WIRED Motions Sensors 
  • 3 WIRED keypads
  • 1 WIRED CO2 sensor
  • 1 WIRED Smart Thermostat
  • 2 Wireless SMART LOCKS (Yale Brand)
  • 1 Wireless CO2 Sensor 
  • 1 Wireless Leak sensor 
  • 2 Wireless outdoor Camera
  • 1 Smart plug and 1 smart LED bulb (dont really care if they work or not)

Is there anyway I can check compatibility?

The installer will probly grumble about putting in the hard wire translator, it takes more time than just installing new wireless sensors.
I'd ask that a company guy does your install, the contractors wanna get the job done as quickly as possible.

Hopefully you live in a bigger town, where I live even the company installers are not to knowledgeable about installing the alarms, specially the wireless translators.
Good luck.

Thanks guys, just an FYI, I asked around and a friend of friend was also on Rogers and had Telus visit , they said they can NOT use any of the WIRED or Wireless from Rogers. 

I called Telus and they also verified, the sales person said if I switch, he can give me "1" camera but I need to buy the rest. So I canceled. Staying with Rogers for now. 

I think if Telus wants to win customers, they should either make their system compatible with other providers OR cover the cost of Hardware, I am not going to pay for windows/door/ camera/ etc when I already have all that!!! 

Cheers,