cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using existing wired sensors

Fisherguy
Ambassador

We're switching over to Telus for our home alarm, will their installers be able to use my existing wired door magnets and my existing motion sensors?
Does Telus use any wired motion sensors when they install them or are theirs all wireless?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@NFtoBC wrote:

Telus will need to use the sensors designed for their system. All are wireless, Low energy Bluetooth for the motion sensors, smoke detectors and door sensors, Wi-Fi for most of the other devices.

OK, well obviously you're not and installer!!    

Had the alarm installed today, Telus  IS  able to use your wired door sensors when they do the install and I'm guessing they can use the wired motion sensors as well.  We had to get pet friendly motion sensors though so we upgraded to new wireless ones.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus will need to use the sensors designed for their system. All are wireless, Low energy Bluetooth for the motion sensors, smoke detectors and door sensors, Wi-Fi for most of the other devices.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Do you know that for a fact, are you an installer?

This says "... up to two hard-wired zones".

https://www.telus.com/en/smarthome-security/security-system-products/security-system-control-panel 

@NFtoBC wrote:

OK, well obviously you're not and installer!!    

Had the alarm installed today, Telus  IS  able to use your wired door sensors when they do the install and I'm guessing they can use the wired motion sensors as well.  We had to get pet friendly motion sensors though so we upgraded to new wireless ones.

What system did you have? They were not able to use anything from my 3 year old DSC system.

I don't have the box it came in but the panel says "IQ Panel" on it.  It's a new one I hear.  He had to put an interface in the basement for the door sensor wiring which connects wirelessly to the IQ panel upstairs. 

So far the system seems pretty nice, I just wish there was an actual siren when it goes off instead of that high pitched squeal.  An outdoor siren would be good too, I have a soffit plug I could power it with.

Looks like they put in an Qolsys IQ Panel 2 and a Qolsys 16F.

Alarm Grid link 

Well that is a little irritating. Said they couldn't use the door sensors or motion sensors now it looks like they could have, just this was easier.

That might be only with this new panel though, not sure but it definitely IS more work for the installer who only gets 2 hours for an alarm install, that's BS.  The guy spent 5 hours at our house and didn't even take a lunch break.

On the website Telus doesn't list any kind of external siren, the squeal of the panel is totally inadequate IMO.  Yesterday I tested it, came in the basement door (the one used in a recent break in) and I could barely hear it.   If I was in my shop and the alarm went off in the house I wouldn't hear it, none of my neighbor would hear it at all.  What good is an alarm if no one can hear it?  Would take probly 20 minutes for the |RCMP to respond from town.

Qolsys (maker of the panel) makes  makes plug in remote sirens, seems strange Telus doesn't sell them.

I agee 100%. I am happy with the system but it fails miserably on the siren inadequacy. I have had two Telus installs in the past year at my shop and home. At the shop in addition to Telus I have an unmonitored ADT system that I haven't disconnected. It has a very loud siren that will scare away any intruder that try's to pry the rear doors of the building. It is loud enough to be heard by neighbouring businesses. All the units in our complex have loud sirens. I just had the same Telus system installed at home only disconnected the Chubb system and monitoring to have it done. I also had a loud siren in the house but that is not operational any longer. I wouldn't call the squeal that comes from the keypad a siren. Even in the house sleeping upstairs it is not audible enough to be heard if someone breaks in through the basement sliding glass door.  I feel the siren is the most important part of the system which should be very loud and heard as soon as a door is cracked open. I have two keypads on the main floor at the front door and back

doors. We will not hear a thing upstairs if anyone breaks in through the basement at night and an intruder won't hear it either. I am surprised and disappointed that Telus does not have this as standard equipment or at least an option but they have other less important devices available. We do not feel secure without the siren. Not happy at all about this with this aspect of their alarm system and we should have given it more thought before installing it at the house. I would like to know if there is going to be a "real" siren available soon that we can install. It seems Telus is not listening.

@Danger wrote:

Well that is a little irritating. Said they couldn't use the door sensors or motion sensors now it looks like they could have, just this was easier.

When was yours installed?
Do you think the squeal is loud enough?

Just got installed this past spring, looks like it is the same system you have. As for the siren, I haven't tested that yet and wont have the opportunity for a while. But will when I can.

mopudding
Organizer

Was able to use all my wired magnetic sensors but had to consolidate a few of my zones. I think max was 16. Couldn’t use my wired motion sensors, had to switch to their wireless ones. Overall, happy with the product.

@mopudding wrote:

Was able to use all my wired magnetic sensors but had to consolidate a few of my zones. I think max was 16. Couldn’t use my wired motion sensors, had to switch to their wireless ones. Overall, happy with the product.

You don't have any kinda extra siren with your setup?

My original wired system has a siren mounted in the hall, but my understanding is the new siren is in the control panel but isn’t connected to the hall mounted siren.

The “siren” speaker is mounted in the control panel and is LOUD.. If you test it turn it down your pets will thank you.

@WestCoasterBC wrote:

The “siren” speaker is mounted in the control panel and is LOUD.. If you test it turn it down your pets will thank you.

The  squealing sound the panel makes is not nearly loud enough, nowhere near as loud as the old fashioned sirens they used to use.  I can hear the squeal upstairs, barely hear it downstairs in the shop, can't hear it at all in my main shop out front, can't hear it at all outside the house.

The board they use for the wired sensors only puts out half an amp, not enough to power the old fashioned 20 watt siren the old panel had.

Qolsys makes plug in sirens that will link up but it seems Telus doesn't use them.  I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who finds the squealing panel inadequate...

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I always preferred the ‘Jesus’ alarm.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

fwakelin
Friendly Neighbour

I recently had mine installed and got the same spiel from the installer: they could connect my existing window/door sensors but existing motions will not work.  Fortunately that is completely incorrect.  According to the installation guide (https://qolsys.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/IQ-Hardwire-16-Quick-Guide.pdf) wired motions are indeed supported.  Having to completely remove the complete incorrect/mess of an installation of the hard-wire module and redo it myself anyway, I wired up my motion detectors (which are superior to the wireless ones as well) - they work perfectly.  I am also connecting an external hard-wired siren to the module so it can be heard upstairs where everyone sleeps.

They either want to get the installation done quickly (and incorrectly I might add, leaving a big mess for me to clean up), or they want to sell you more wireless sensors.  The whole installation was a mess:

• When they installed the hard-wire module the installer simply cut the wires from the existing system, pulled them outside of the metal panel box and attached the hard-wire module to the wall beside it; completely unsecured.  I had to remove all of the old system boards from the box myself, move the hard-wire module inside the box where it is supposed to be, and reconnect all of the sensors inside the box. 
  • In addition, after the installer toned out the window sensors wires, one of them started acting up.  Instead of troubleshooting it he said, "you'll need to buy more wireless sensors for these windows".  I checked the sensors myself and noticed he seemed to have pushed one of them into the window frame when he was toning it out, and it was now to far away from the magnet.  I pulled it back into position and applied silicone to correct it.  
  • The installer said he wouldn't be able to install the external cameras as they didn't give him enough time (but he had all of the equipment ordered with him so...?), so I had to install them myself. 

The system itself is fantastic when it is installed correctly.  I feel sorry for those that aren't able to do the installation themselves though.

Was your installer a company employee or a contractor? 
I had a unionized company guy do mine, he removed the existing alarm equipment from the metal cabinet and installed the translator inside it.

Were you able to get your old siren to work?  I had no luck with mine, figured it drew more than the .5 amp the translator puts out so Ibought a small cheap one off Amazon and I can't get it to work either.  Really want to get it working, can barely hear the panel's squeal when you're in the basement in our house.

fwakelin
Friendly Neighbour

The initial installer was an external contractor.  However, in an effort to 'do the right thing' I also called repair to fix the issues - they also gave me the same story so I took matters into my own hands.

My previous siren required much more amperage as well so I bought a small one off amazon as well - a low current draw siren like the watchdog collection from ATW.