cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call notifying us of intrusion sounded so suspicious we just hung up

Geoh
Just Moved In

Got a call on my cellphone.  The alarm had tripped, but I only found that out much later.  There was absolutely no identification of the caller or the purpose of the call.  It simply stated my name, then my address, each with that robotic "fill in the blanks" method, then menu options if I lived or did not live at that address.  It sounded for all the world like some bot fishing for information.  I got another call from the same number and let it go to voicemail.  My wife got the same message, and both of us decided no way were we going to continue.  We were only a few minutes from the house and would have gone back to check.  Fortunately it was a false alarm. 

I got an email later from Telus, and that's when I connected Telus with the phone call.  I've had security systems before, with occasional intrusion notifications, and each time I'd get a call from the monitoring centre stating the facts plainly.  Never anything as outright weird as this.   Please, Telus, either get rid of the bot, or use modern technology so that it doesn't sound like a third-rate science fiction movie.  And please IDENTIFY THE COMPANY AND THE PURPOSE OF THE CALL at the beginning. I saved the voicemail from the second call, but for obvious privacy reasons will not post it here.  It's available if you want to listen.  

I'm guessing 9 out of 10 people getting a call like this will hang up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MelH
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hey Geoh, we're truly sorry about this experience.  I'll be sending you a private message shortly to gather a bit more information and make sure that your feedback is passed along.  Thank you! 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MelH
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hey Geoh, we're truly sorry about this experience.  I'll be sending you a private message shortly to gather a bit more information and make sure that your feedback is passed along.  Thank you! 

In this day of scams and unsolicited calls, I would do the exact same thing. I find it amazing that Telus would allow somebody to naively issue a response of that nature.  So smarten up management!