cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic disarm of system upon arrival

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Is there a way to automatically disarm the system and unlock my door upon arrival home? My August lock unlocks automatically when I arrive home with my phone in my pocket.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aredmiata
Just Moved In
I think what you can do is set to disarm with Bluetooth, and then set up a rule or scene that when the system is disarmed to unlock the door.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

+1 for this i haven't switched locks as i couldn't find where it can do this as well.

DaisyFaith01-Tech
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi Guys,

Good day. That is a good topic to brought up. I believe what you need to do is set GEO SERVICES on your system. Below are the details like Features and walk through on how to do it online or through the APP.

Description: Geo-Services can be used to elevate the experience with smart devices so they change settings once you are within/out of a certain location area.

Features: 

• Location-based automation that automatically adjusts your devices' settings dependent on where you are.
  • Set rules to turn on lights when you come home so you're not in the dark.
  • Automatically turn down or off devices when you're not at home.
  • Turn off video monitoring when you're at home.
  • Adjust thermostat for when you're getting home so when you return home, it is the perfect temperature.

How to: Set Geo-Services

1Login to your My SmartHome account portal.
2On the default home screen, on the left navigation panel, select Settings.

Select Geo-Services.

You are redirected to the Geo-Services screen.

Click + Add a fence to add a Geo-Fence. The screen changes to Edit 'Fence _'. 

• Enter address
  • Enter name of fence
  • Enter radius or manually move the perimeter of the circle
5Select Save.

Add Geo-Devices.

Note: Geo-Services must be enabled under Settings in the Alarm.com app on your phone for this feature to work.

Set up Geo-Features by clicking on the feature name. 

• Lock Reminders
  • Sensor Reminders
  • Garage Reminders
  • Thermostat Override
  • Pause Video Recordings
  • Light Automation Rules

In settings, in the When selected people cross a Geo-Fence section, select the phone and when device would be triggered (Enter/Exit and fence).

Select Save.

How to: Add Automation

Step Action

1On the default home screen, on the left navigation panel, select Automation.
2Select Add New Rule.

Select Event-triggered Rule from the drop-down menu.

You are redirected to the Event-Triggered Rule screen.

4Enter a name for this new rule in the Name of rule field.

In the When this event occurs section, select People cross a Geo-Fence.

Three drop-down menus (Device, Action, Fence) appear below People cross a Geo-Fence.

Select the device, action (enter/exit) and fence from the drop-down menus.

To quickly edit or create a new Geo-Fence, select the pencil icon to edit/create one.

Fill out the remaining fields to adjust settings and add corresponding devices to react to crossing a Geo-Fence:

• Perform this action
  • Select Devices
  • During these time frames

Select Save. 

If the smartphone crosses the specified Geo-Fence, the selected device will act as specified in the rule.

Hope this helps

@DaisyFaith01-Tech, unfortunately the geo-fence is FAR too large to be useful for me. Almost everything I do in my daily routine is within the bounds of the geofence, and therefore is not triggered, as I almost never leave the zoo.

Allow the geo-fenced area to be reduced to 100 metres, and it might become useful to me.

NFtoBC

lmeinecke
Organizer

Depends on the type of alarm system you have.  If it is the typical 2GIG GC2 panel that Telus uses, unfortunately no.  If you happen to have a Qolsys IQ Panel, it has Bluetooth capability in it that you can setup to disarm your system when you come in.

Aredmiata
Just Moved In
I think what you can do is set to disarm with Bluetooth, and then set up a rule or scene that when the system is disarmed to unlock the door.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Aredmiata wrote:

Yes!!!  Now just have to confirm with spouse’s phone!

A Scene had been set up on our system, but I had to ‘save’ it again to activate it. Thanks for the pointer @Aredmiata 

NFtoBC

Remember the Bluetooth disarm feature is only supported for the "Arm Away" setting, It will not work in "Armed Stay", which is a shame because I use this mostly for short trips out of the house when my dogs are still in it, armed away is used when we are all gone. Really should be an option to change it somewhere.

fwakelin
Friendly Neighbour

There are a couple ways this can be done:

1. Via bluetooth, but that only works if you arm the system "AWAY", and not "STAY"
  2. If you have Z-Wave locks, you can configure the user PIN required to open the lock to also disarm the panel at the same time.
  3. Geo-fencing can be used to arm the system (I believe) but not disarm.  In any case it's not entirely useful as the minimum geo-fence radius is very large.